Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Alan Drumm

I am new to this forum and internet based forums in general, however i am currently pursuing a Masters in History in University College Cork. The thsis topic I am investigating is Soldiers from County Kerry who participated in the Great War. As with most thesis I most aquire a piece of original research, I am attempting to put together a list of the people from the county that fought. However due to the changes in the post war political scene in Ireland, today it is extremely difficult to trace any records. The Majority of those who participated would have enlisted in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and therefore it is the best place to start.

I was wondering if any of ye guys have any documents relating to my quiery? and have any of ye researched a similar topic? and how ye went about it?

Hello Alan and Welcome to the Forum,

It's a tricky one, that. As you say, post war politics in Ireland would have made many ex-service men keep their heads down, so they a were unlikelky to have publicised the fact that they had served. One source that might be worth chasing would be the archive of the local newpapers (the Kerryman?) to see if names of men who volunteered are listed.

It is easier to find those who died while serving - Ireland's Memorial Records would have these - there should be a copy and searchable DVD in your local County Council Library. But be wary of the search engine - if you put in Kerry into "Place of Birth" it will give all those entries that contain Kerry, but will ignore one that says Tralee, but no Kerry, if you follow me..

Also be careful of the assumption that all Kerrymen served with the Munsters - most probably did, but certainly not all. There may be a difinitive list somewhere, but I doubt it. Perhaps at Kew?

Regards,

Liam.

Thanks Liam

The Kerryman has a list of those wounded or killed until 1916, when it was interestingly initially censored and then closed. I had a look at those killed alright and it is interesting to see how a particular battle can wipe out so many men from a particular parish. Would a roll exist of those who were the army regulars who would have been posted to France in 1914 as part of the BEF?

I intend to visit Kew early in the new year but as with all archives you really have to know what you are looking for as time is precious!

Hello Alan,

welcome on the forum,

Ian maked to you an excellent suggestion...

One of these threads begin by a painting story, and day after day follow much informations about the RMF

very friendly

Michel

Thanks lads, I had a quick look through the Classic Threads and came accross bits and pieces that a very interesting. I have another quick quetion however, the men's field pay books and field conduct sheets would have to have been closed and balanced and sent to the Regimental Paymaster before embarkation. Would these records still exist or would they have been destroyed post war or during the blitz.

Another interesting point is that I was talking to a historian and he reckons that forums like this to put ideas forward and get feedback is the future of history.

Alan,

A good book to read which has many mentions of the Munsters would be 'Irish Regiments in the Great War - Discipline and Morale'.

This covers aspects of the raising and training of Irish Battalions and the problems they encountered, .

It also covers the Battalions in action.

Is it regulars or service battalions you are mainly interested in?

Rob

Thanks Ken that is fantastic. I was told by numerous people and organisations that even getting a list of officers would be near impossible. I sourced the document and it comes from the the Church of The Latter Day Saints archives which is very strange. I recognise some of the names on the list so I will be looking up the phone book next.

Thanks Rob for book reference, I am looking at both Regular and Service battalions. I would love to be able to get some of the names from amongst the ranks. That would open a whole new area of study, it would be very interesting to see how many of these soldiers went on to fight in the War of Independence. That is not to say that officers would not have been involved.

Thanks again lads.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there Alan I am new to this forum also ..My grandad Andrew Davidson served with the RM fusiliers ..he also served with the R Irish fusiliers.He survived the war and passed away at 63 yrs of age. I have added a photo of him and probably two other unknown RMFs. My grandad came from belfast but had relatives living near templetoughey /templemore so he enlisted probably in Tipp. or Kerry..If I find out any thing about the Regiment I will post it for you ....Happy hunting.......

Andy Davidsonpost-27811-1196187625.jpgpost-27811-1196187698.jpg