Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge.

Stephen White

My Great Grandfather saw service in South Afria in 1900/1901.he arrived back in the uk on 31.05.1901.he became a civilian again shortly after.

how long would the discharge process have taken,and would he have had to go back to barracks for this to happen.or could he have left direct from the ship ??.he was in a Militia unit (similar to the TA of today i think),if that makes any difference to the discharge proccess !!.

Steven :unsure:

Hi,

Have you looked for his papers at the PRO? If you know his date of return to the uK then this document may indicate the date of his discharge.

The amount of time that discharge papers took to come through could vary, and men were often discharged in batches, dependant on a variety of things (e.g. date of enlistment, occupation, no. of dependants).

Of course a discharge could be instantaneous, as many entries in service records testify - for those who were discharged dead the pay for the NoK stopped straight away.

Rgds,

Alex.

Alex.

i have been to the PRO to try and trace his WW1 service records,but as you can imagine they no longer survive.his earlier stint in the Army (during the Boer War) only came to light after i'd made my visit to the PRO.i am going again at the end of february,and will look for his earlier records.

i wasn't after an accurate figure,just a rough estimate as to when he would have been discharged,given that he arrived back in the uk on 31.05.1901.just about 9 months after arriving back in the uk he had his first child and then got married,just something i was trying to work out as regards his civilian life.his occupation as listed on his marriage certificate is a "file cutter Journeyman".i don't know if this entitled him to be discharged any quicker ??.

Steven :unsure:

for those who were discharged dead the pay for the NoK stopped straight away.

Rgds,

Alex.

But the remuneration for the NOK wasn't quite as quick <_< ............ My Great Uncle died in February 1916.................My Great Grandmother received his back pay in September 1919 ................no interest paid either

Steven,

If it's of any help, my grandfathers papers relating to the Boer War states he arrived back in England on the 27th November 1902 & was discharged on the

3rd December 1902 at Aldershot.

Kilty ;)

i have been to the PRO to try and trace his WW1 service records,but as you can imagine they no longer survive.his earlier stint in the Army (during the Boer War) only came to light after i'd made my visit to the PRO.i am going again at the end of february,and will look for his earlier records.

Hi,

Your best bet is to try for an earlier set of service records for his Boer War service. Depending on who he served with and under what terms may have affected his discharge. For instance, if he were a regular he may well have served for a siginificant number of months before his discharge - this only occuring because he was 'time expired'. Alternatively, someone serving with the imperial yeomanry may have been discharged immeadiately on their return.

Did you find his medal index card for WW1 service? It may also be worth checking the QSA medal roll.

Rgds,

Alex.