The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is that an Iron Cross?

Jon6640

Below is a picture of Sapper 158037 Henry Thomas Gaskin. Henry came to a sad end, having returned to his home of Hednesford, Staffordshire upon his demob in January 1919 he found his wife Elizabeth had been having affairs whilst he was in France, bearing two children be these extra marital activities. On February 20th 1919 he killed his wife saying, "You are a she devil of the first order, and I'm going to send you to where you belong. You had your pleasure while I was in France. Now I'm going to tear your insides out." Henry was found guilty of wilfull murder and hung at Winson Green Prison, Birmingham on August 8th 1919. Whilst in no way condoning his actions I can't help but feel Henry was a victim of the war.

As you can see in the picture he seems to be wearing an Iron Cross and another medal. Can any forum pals suggest what this medal is and give any clues as to the time the photo was taken from his uniform? Many thanks.

post-14888-1194802133.jpg

I'm no expert, but it certainly does look like an Iron Cross (? 1st Class)

The bottom one could be the Croix de Guerre.

A tragic, but fascinating story, and an interesting photo. Thanks for posting it.

Adrian

the lowe medal is deffinately a french Croix de guerre, the top looks like a Iron cross but seems to be a little large or is this my imagination. Did he win a Croix?

No trace of him being awarded a CdG in the Gazette and no mention of him receiving one in the papers regarding the murder, I guess that a bit of creative licence was being used. Can anyone help explain the inverted stripes onhis right arm (overseas service stripes?0.

Jon

I( think they may be temperance medals. I saw one once that resembled an EK1 and had a double take.

Jon,

Those three stripes on his lower right sleeve are most definitely overseas chevrons; as they all appear to be same colour, it would indicate three years post 1914 overseas.

You'll note also the presence of a single wound stripe on the lower left sleeve also.

Regards,

George

the lowe medal is deffinately a french Croix de guerre, the top looks like a Iron cross but seems to be a little large or is this my imagination. Did he win a Croix?

Or Belgian?

Neil

Hallo Fellow Members :D

Pictures for comparison with regards size.

post-18479-1194858663.jpg

While the upper cross in the main picture of the soldier,

appears to be a pin-back First Class Iron Cross

the one I show for comparison is a 2nd Class, the cross part in both being the same size.

But I seriously doubt he would have had the neck to wear a Prussian Iron Cross :unsure:

Connaught Stranger. :D

post-18479-1194858817.jpg

Close up.

Connaught Stranger

post-18479-1194870046.jpeg

The Belgian Croix de Guerre.

Connaught Strange :D