Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kilt Id Plus Tunic ID

mysticalmac

Hi all i tried this before and got no ideas so i thought i would try again the can anyone identify from this the Tartan or the regiment the only trouble is i had to reduce the size considerably to post it sorry

Regards

Allan

post-16772-1194779474.jpg

Allan,

I think an enhanced scan (if possible) of the bonnet badge is the key here. Could be Seaforth (I think the Mackenzie tartan comes up like this on black and white and I think there is a recent discussion of this issue on the Forum) although the badge looks round rather than stag's head shaped - although suddenly I imagine I can see two spikes that might be stag's horns at the top of the badge. Gordon Highlanders (Gordon tartan) perhaps or Liverpool Scottish (Forbes tartan - similar in many respects to Gordon but with a white sett rather than yellow)

Ian

Odds are he is a Seaforth. As was asked before a close up on the cap badge would help?

Chances not a Gordon--the yellow stripe never really shows up in photos.

HLI 6th Bn wore an identical Kilt to the Seaforth (save the Seaforths had a Box pleat in the rear and the 6th HLI had a knife pleat)--although I think the diced Glen may rule them out. The 6th is usually seen in a Kilmarnock or the pattern HLI unit had a plain green glen I have not seen a HLI in diced glen before.

Joe Sweeney

Needs an elargement of the badge to be sure, but I also think Seaforths. In seem to imagine the antler points at the top and the scroll underneath blending with the stags head in this small image.

Ian