Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where are we going today?

steve chilton

For the first time in some years I am going to a local memorial as opposed to watching on TV or having to work (I do shift work so cannot always fit in a personal visit).

I myself am going to the war memorial in Dinton, Buckinghamshire, I dont know what is planned there, for all I know I will be by myself although there are always wreaths there following rememberance day so hopefully not alone. I have passed it and studied it many times whilst walking the dog but never been able to attend the rememberance day service, tomorrow I will.

Apart from relatives and ancestors (not local to Dinton) who gave the utltimate sacrifice I have found an old friend on the new national memorial who was killed in Northern Ireland who I will be particularily remembering.

Steve Chilton

Hi Steve,

I'll be with my daughter and the Brownies at the Haverfordwest Memorial Service, whilst the missus will be with our son and the Beavers at the Johnston Memorial Service. My daughter will be laying a wreath on behalf of the Brownies, so it's a very special moment for me.

Non of my ancestors are remembered on UK memorials (non that we have found to date), we did recently find the kids Great Great Grandfathers name on the Weymouth and Portland memorials (on the missus' side). And whilst in Sheffield (my home town) earlier this year I discovered that the trees we used to climb as kids down the side of the school were planted in memory of the City Battalion (12th Y & L), the stone plaque well hidden on the school kitchen wall long since eroded.

I hope that your day is a good one Steve and you'll never be alone at a Great War memorial,

cheers, Jon

Today is the first day of the working week here

and being short-staffed at the moment, I cannot get away for the ceremony at Ramleh

But yesterday I made a special trip up to Haifa to visit the five graves for which the MoD have recently accepted

responsibility, as well as the nine artillery men whose case we are still pressing. [see post #31 here http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=62331]

Nevertheless, I will try and keep an eye on the clock and 'remember' at 1100 hrs

Michael

For what I understand to be political and practical reasons, the service here in the Torrevieja area of Spain was held yesterday, at the Anglican church in La Siesta.

For the first time since I left the Services, nearly 40 years ago, I felt I wanted to attend...probably affected by the recent deaths of my wife and closest brother.

It was a bit damp outside, but I was very pleased to have attended.

This is the irst time for many years that I have not attended a service! Unfortunately having been off work sick I did not feel well enough to attend but watched the service on the box!!! However.....I shall make a trip to the Cathederal tomorrow to put in my cross in remembrance of my two grt grt uncles who lost their lives in the service of their country.

For the first time in some years I am going to a local memorial as opposed to watching on TV or having to work (I do shift work so cannot always fit in a personal visit).

I myself am going to the war memorial in Dinton, Buckinghamshire, I dont know what is planned there, for all I know I will be by myself although there are always wreaths there following rememberance day so hopefully not alone. I have passed it and studied it many times whilst walking the dog but never been able to attend the rememberance day service, tomorrow I will.

Apart from relatives and ancestors (not local to Dinton) who gave the utltimate sacrifice I have found an old friend on the new national memorial who was killed in Northern Ireland who I will be particularily remembering.

Steve Chilton

Steve

I live the other side of Aylesbury to you, in Weston Turville and I hope there were as many people attending in Dinton as there were at our short service.

If you would like to know more about those who gave their lives in WW1 from Dinton you might like to visit our website at www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk

June

I have just got back from the service at the English speaking church here in Luxembourg.

Wreaths laid by myself, US Embassy, British Embassy, Irish Embassy and RAFA.

The church was packed and there were several nationalities. Amongst others: Canadian, British, US, Italian, Luxembourgish, German and French. I lost count after that!

Luxembourg itself doesn't commemorate 11 November as they weren't liberated until 23 November.

They hold their commemorations on various dates: 10 September (liberation, 1944), 31 August (national strike 1942), early October (commemoration of the youth being orced into the TODT organisaion), 15 December (start of Battle of the Bulge).

They also have a national resistance day in January - to commemorate the people who were massacred in a nearby concentration camp in January 1945.

• Admin

We went as usual to the Castle Combe service. It poured with rain throughout the service, but it didn't stop a large crowd turning out. Afterwards we placed a tribute to Ernest Young, 10th Glosters, a relative of Wayne.

We went to Street , Somerset my home town, it has been many years since I last attended a remembrance parade here either due to work commitments or the fact that we normally go to Bath.

I am pleased to say that the numbers appeared to have doubled since my last visit.

Malcolm

Stood alone at 1100hrs (1400hrs local) in the middle of the desert, very surreal because last year i was at the cenotaph......

Took my daughter to her first Remembrance Day at Dovercourt War Memorial. No rain so a good turnout.

Chippenham Remembrance Service - church was packed. The wreath laying ceremony was very well attended with a contingent of Army as well as the cadet organisations. The striking point about the soldiers on parade was the sheer array of medals between them, highlighting the current level of operations. I would say the average was 5 with a significant number having 8. The vicar’s sermon was spot on focussing on the covenant between the military and the country and how the British Legion are saying that it has been broken.

Then, this evening, went to another service. The vicar was stood next to the war memorial but it was hard to see as it was hidden behind a wealth of drum kits, music stands and associated stuff. The theme of the service was remembrance.....of refugees....of civilians.....oh and those killed did get a mention. The war memorial did not even have a wreath on it. It was almost as if it did not exist..... :angry:

Went to the memorial at Dinton, hardly anyone there at 1100. As we are a tiny village surrounded by tiny villages the various organisations go round from one to the next and it was not our turn until 1230. Still, paid my respects.

June - thanks for the link, I hadnt come across it before and will cerntainly be in touch with Buckinghamshire Remembers to see what I can do. A quick search already reveals some of my relatives who are not on memorials but should be.

Steve Chilton

My family and I went to the Remembrance service in Middlewich. The whole service is held outside as all of the Churches in town participate and several hundred people turned up, not including the procession. It was very moving, especially after finding out so many details of some of the men listed on our Memorial.

My children laid crosses for my GGUncles, and also for a lady in Canada who took up my look up offer on one of my rootsweb email lists.

I took charge of my local parade again this morning. On parade were 28 members of the Royal British Legion branch I belong to, plus a further 20 or so who due to age and health reasons do not march and met us at the War Memorial. Joining the RBL on parade were the local Girls Brigade, Boys Brigade and Girl Guides, as well as a solitary Police officer. The Borough Council was represented by a councillor.

The service was taken at the WM by the Local Church of Ireland minister, who just happens to be a TA chaplain and was there today in his military vestments.

The wind tortured the poor standard bearers and played havoc with the wreaths, but made the music and words of command carry an abnormal distance. My house is ten minutes walk from the British Legion building, but Mrs Dogflud says she clearly heard me get the troops going followed by the band.

Last post and Reveille was played admirably by a uniformed member of The Ulster Great War Research Society in the guise of a CSM of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I have to admit it seemed a little odd to see a Great War uniform sporting a modern medal group.

The outside service was followed by a church service with a further wreath being hung underneath the church memorial to those members of the congregation who both served and died or served and returned.

We then returned to the RBL branch building for soup and rolls prepared by the ladies of the womens section who did not march.

It was a particularly special day as it was the first time my daughter had paraded with the Girls Brigade, and she did extremely well.

We will remember them.

Nigel

i was at the hearts fc remembrance service at the haymarket in edinburgh today.where there is a monument at this busy junction

great turnout(1200 people),well represented by hearts fc playing staff and its lithuanian owner,vladimir romanov

i must say the service has had a great boost in these very recent years as a result of jack alexanders endeavours in bringing about,the definitive story of the 16th royal scots.his publication,mcCraes battalion, has enlightened us all in edinburgh and beyond on how the relationship with hearts fc and the great war will allways be remembered with significance.

the salvation army were there leading the service with their band and aside from the hymns and stuff,a letter written on the front line in and around bon accord street before the actions of the ist day of the somme from a private Marshall of the 16th royal scots was read out by the hearts head coach,stephen frail

a moving ceremony

I was at Sandbach War Memorial yesterday. There must have been 400 or more spectators, which is an increase on last year, and there must have been a couple of hundred in the parade.