Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Joseph Brett

bjames

Well St.Dunstans came up trumps with my enquiry about my Great uncle Edward Brett. He was in the 12th Royal Fusiliers (L/13471 Dec 1908-nov 1917) and was injured by shrapnel at Dickebusch, Belgium on the 30th July 1917. He was a corporal.

he spent time at Wharncliffe war hospital in Sheffield and then to the 2nd London General hospital in october 1917.

Would anyone have any information on the action he may have been in or the hospitals he was sent to?

On his MIC it shows next to Victory: L TP/ 104. B5 under roll and 423 under page. at the bottom it shows: SWB (something) TP/1942. any suggestions?

BJ

This was the time of the 3rd Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele),his injury came the day before the advance on Pilckem Ridge,so it may have been that pre-attack artillery duels were going on. The unit War Diary will tell you where he was. It is at Kew under the reference WO95/2208 and covers from Aug 1915 to Feb 1918.

As for medical treatment there were at least three possible Casualty Clearing Stations he could have gone to,the famous Dozinghem,Bandaghem and Mendinghem,all near Poperinghe and westward from the front line. I have had one of my soldiers from just a bit more east of Dickebusch taken to Mendinghem for treatment,but it would be difficult to say for certain.

The MIC gobbledygook translates to Medal Roll Ledgers at Kew under the WO329 series,one for the War and Victory medals and one for the SWB (Silver War Badge) issued to wounded soldiers.

Best wishes

Sotonmate