Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Myth of the Great War

andigger

"The Myth of the Great War-A New Military History of World War I" by John Mosier.

This is a general question. A friend has recommended this book to me for a book club I lead. Has anyone out there read it, and have any feedback? Thanks, Andy

The considered answer is....

NO, NO, and errr... NO! One of the most awful pieces of modern scholarship perpetrated... Biased use of statistics (and use of statistics alone in some cases) basically to assert that America won the war. Full stop.

But that's my opinion, and we all know what Inspector Harry Callaghan ('Dirty' to his friends) says about those.

In my view, a ludicrous farrago written by someone with not even a basic understanding of the subject. Parts of it read like a spoof. I could almost believe that it was written by Gary Sheffield under a pseudonym to discredit the opposition. The 2000's equivalent of Bryan Gardner's 'The Big Push'.

Well, that's that! Shan't buy or borrow that. I wonder what the pals are like when they really don't like a book? Lovely, made my day.

Who's next for the boot in?

I'm part way through reading this book and had considered asking what other people here thought of it, but then decided to read it first.

I'm trying to remain open-minded as I read it but even with my limited knowledge I find myself saying "Hang on, what about..." as I consider the 'facts' Mosier evidences.

Taken in isolation, some of his points seem credible, at least, especially when he discusses the French attacks early in the war, about which I know very little.

The general theme of 'how much better the Germans were at everything than anyone else', has me wondering how the allies survived until the good ol' USofA arrived just in time to win the war.

But, to better understand the accepted wisdom of the Great War, I like to read alternative viewpoints and though I might not agree with Mosier at the end of the day, the book is certainly thought-provoking.

regards,

Ken

I find people are too intolerant of intolerance. [worthy of Cantona]. But it's more fun than being too tolerant of tolerance.

Can we agree it's time I shut down?

I am very amused again, to read about some pals who don't like that myths be scratched. We had a similar controversial discussion here. Don't read the last pages where the "Weapons-of-mass-destructors" come to the rescue of the allied world. But the precedeing is interesting !

Wow... I had no idea my question would add so much controversy. I'm glad to see it.

Honestly though, would Myth of the Great War be a counter balance to To Win a War?

Let the arrows fly!!!

This book has come up several times, it's really unfortunate that it found a publisher. Mosier is not a historian and unqualified to write on WW1 at all. The book is ludicrous. He says Germans won 1st Battle of the Marne!

It is by far the most uninformed and inaccurate book I have ever read on the subject. Here in the US lots who have an interest have it only because Dad served or another relative. They tend to accept this because they do believe USA won the war for the allies, " The French could not take Montfaucon in 4 years, we did it in 2 days, of course we won the war." Well we did not and as I say each time this comes up if you go to the Western Front Association site & look at articles you will see mine on this subject. Last I looked it was still titled America Enters The War which is not the subject at all.

I do not have the words to express how bad this book is!

...and more comment on this book here:

Mosier

I'm not sorry I read the book - realising it was flawed convinced me that all these years of reading have at least developed my critical faculties. It is sometimes a nice feeling to realise one knows enough to contradict an author with confidence.

S

Someone bought me this book several months ago. I think they intended that it should provoke me.

It did.

After I finished reading it, I gave it to the charity shop.

John