Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21 Stationary Hospital Salonika

jimmie

I'm interested in any information on the 21 Stationary Hospital, Salonika and particularly those who served there. Can any Panel member assist please?

Regards,

Jim

I don't have much on this one, but according to my information, 21 Stationary Hospital was at Karaissi (between the city and Lembet Camp) until June 1917, when it moved up country to Sarigol, near Kilkis.

Adrian

Looking at the 1917 diary of Ben Noot of the RAMC, I wonder if the 21 Stationary Hospital was his initial destination when he arrived in Salonika.

Apl 3 Arrived Salonika

Apl 4 Went to Karaissi

Apl 5 Joined 27 CCS Lembet (2 miles north of Salonika)

It would be interesting to know how the communciations links between the Stationary Hospitals and the Casualty Clearing Stations worked in the area.

Thanks for your replies. I'll use Google Earth now on Karaissi. Sorry I can't help on the question of communications between the Stationary hospitals and the Casualty Clearing Stations but I'll be very interested to know the answer if anyone has it.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

Karaissi (a.k.a. Kara Isin) was roughly where the suburbs of Polihni/Neapoli are now.

I'm not sure of the exact site, but Google Earth N40.666400 E22.950500 should be pretty close. Lembet Camp was about 1.5-2 miles further north.

Paul,

There were several hospitals around Karaissi during the campaign (including the main VD hospital), but I don't have much information. 29th Stationary was there in 1918, which was after 21st had left, but I don't know if they were ever there at the same time or whether 29th moved in after 21st moved out.

Adrian

The relevant volume of the Medical Official History should carry some outline of where the unit was and when, but it is not an easy volume to track down - an inter-library loan request perhaps?

Thanks Adrian for the more detailed description of where 21 Stationary Hospital stood. First time around my search on Google Earth got me nowhere but I'll now try again.

Also thanks to you Martin-I'll pursue that line of enquiry.

I also received a private communication from Rob who said his grandfather served in southern Russia 1919-1920 and was sent to 21 Stationary Hospital then in Turkey, in 1920. Could this be the same Stationary Hospital? I've always assumed that whilst a hospital retained its designation if it moved on the same Front, if it went to a different Front altogether it would be re-designated. Can anyone advise please?

Jim

Hello Jimmie and Apright

I sent Jimmie a message yesterday and can amplify as follows:

My grandfather served with "C" Flight, 47 Squadron RAF in South Russia 1919-20. According to his record of service he embarked South Russia 13th March 1920 and on 21st March was admitted to 21st Stationary Hospital, Feneraki. On the 29th March 1920 he was transferred to the 82nd General Hospital which I believe was also located in Turkey.

Any information on the 82nd General Hospital would be most welcome.

Best regards

Rob

82 General was in Salonika during 1918 (don't know when it arrived), and moved to Haidar Pasha, Istanbul, around 3 December 1918.

That's all I have, and it was probably gleaned from other threads on this forum!

See esp.

Adrian

So it seems from your comments, Adrian, about 82 General, that hospitals retained their numbering even when they moved from one country to another. Therefore 21 Stationary Hospital would've moved to Turkey, as Rob has suggested. That's useful info.

Regards,

Jim

82 General Hospital was reorganised as a general hospital for 1560 (half British; half Indian) and moved to Constantinople "around the end of November 1918"

Prior to the move 25 Mobile Hygiene Laboratory and 26 Mobile Bacteriology Laboratory were attached to 82 General Hopsital for this move - which I suspect actually took place just into Dec 1918

As for 21 Stationary, it was withdrawn from Salonika to support 27th Divisionin the Caucasus along with 18 Stationary Hosp, 25 & 27 CCS, part of 7 MAC (Motor Ambulance Convoy), 22 Advanced deopt of medical stores and 28 Mobile Bacteriology Lab. 27 Div already had 81, 82 & 83 CCSs and a section of 110 Indian Field Ambulance was also added.Another section of 110 Indian Field Ambulance went to Chanak.

The 27th Div occupied posts in Armenia & Georgia. 21 Stationary Hosp., 27 CCS and 22 Advanced Deopt of Medical Stores were at Batoum. All the units associated with 27 Div in the Caucasus were disbanded along with 27Div at the time (in Sept 1919) of the withdrawl from the Caucasus and Trans-Caucasus. A small establishment was left at Batoum, being 27 CCS plus a sanitary section. Two sections of 82 Field Ambulance were also attached to 27 CCS. The garrison was eventually withdrawn in July 1920.

Hope this helps.

82 General Hospital was reorganised as a general hospital for 1560 (half British; half Indian) and moved to Constantinople "around the end of November 1918"

As for 21 Stationary, it was withdrawn from Salonika to support 27th Division in the Caucasus ....

The 27th Div occupied posts in Armenia & Georgia. 21 Stationary Hosp., 27 CCS and 22 Advanced Deopt of Medical Stores were at Batoum. All the units associated with 27 Div in the Caucasus were disbanded along with 27Div at the time (in Sept 1919) of the withdrawl from the Caucasus and Trans-Caucasus......

Martin Wills

I very much appreciate your information on the 82nd General Hospital and the 21st Stationary Hospital.

The 21st Stationary Hospital must have been relocated after September 1919. My Grandfather saw active service with 47 'A' Squadron ('C' Flight), South Russia, from June 1919 to 13th March 1920. According to his service record he was admitted to the 21st Stationary Hospital, Feneraki on the 21st March 1920, and thence, on 29th March, to the 82nd General Hospital. Upon returning to England he was admiited to Cambridge Military Hospital, Aldershot.

Are you aware of the existence of photographs or other records relative to the 21st Stationary and 82nd General Hospitals, or indeed Cambridge Military Hospital? I have recently acquired a postcard of the latter.

Any information or help will be very much appreciated.

Best Regards

Rob

I must admit I was puzzled by the post 1919 references. It might be that the records I consulted are wrong (though this is unlikely) OR that if was re-constituted OR that the name stuck with the residue garrison.

I'm afraid I don't have any pictures at all relating to the post Salonika phases.

MartinWills

Re : 21st Stationary Hospital

Thankyou for your 6.09pm reply. If you come across any additional information I shall be pleased to hear.

Best regards

Rob

Hi all. This is a photo of the 21st Stationary Hospital in Salonika. The old name of the area was Zeitenlik (Turkish name) on the way to Lembet.

post-5902-1196346352.jpg

Hello gerryl

Thanks for your response and what a fantastic photograph of the 21st in Salonika.

Does anyone have a photo of the 21st Stationary Hospital, Feneraki?

Rob

• 2 years later...
Hello gerryl

Thanks for your response and what a fantastic photograph of the 21st in Salonika.

Does anyone have a photo of the 21st Stationary Hospital, Feneraki?

Rob

Apologies for resurrecting a long dead thread - I was searching for information on the location of Feneraki as a result of a photo I just bought and found this thread.

Not a picture of the hospital but of the transport of the Gordons (I assume 1st Bn as they were in Turkey 1920-22) noted on rear in contemporary hand as being "at Feneraki"

post-14525-1260127651.jpg

Chris

• 8 months later...

Paul...

I just went on this site and low and behold there was BEN NOOT staring back at me. I have a photo of Ben and he was mentioned many many times in my grandfather's diaries. He was a member of the RAMC 27th CCS in Salonika Greece. I cross-referenced some of your enttries in your post and found that they were in fact together. At one point, Ben was teaching my grandfather shorthand....and at another time my grandfather gave him the address of Ida Graham so that he could correspond with her. I have several photos of unnamed soldiers in my collection and perhaps you have some of the same whom you may have names for. My grandfather's diaries talk about Ben in all the dates you mentioned so they were certainly chums. Would love to talk to you more about this connection. I look forward to your next post.

Joyce

Looking at the 1917 diary of Ben Noot of the RAMC, I wonder if the 21 Stationary Hospital was his initial destination when he arrived in Salonika.

Apl 3 Arrived Salonika

Apl 4 Went to Karaissi

Apl 5 Joined 27 CCS Lembet (2 miles north of Salonika)

It would be interesting to know how the communciations links between the Stationary Hospitals and the Casualty Clearing Stations worked in the area.

• 1 year later...

Hello Jimmie, Rob, and Apright

I don't have much information about 82nd General Hospital but, Sister Mary Drury served there. Her MIC shows her having served in Egypt, the Dardanelles (on HM Hospital Ship Donegold? and at 82 Gen Hosp in Constantinople. She was awarded ARRC, British War Medal, Territorial Force War Medal and Victory Medal.

Regards

Howard

• 10 months later...

Can anyone advise me which CCS and/or hospital would have been in the Sarigol area in February 1917.

I am trying to find out more about the death of an airman in 47 Sqdn RFC who was killed in that month and who is buried in Sarigol.

My hope is to then find the diary of such CCS.

Chalk,

As your man was killed at Janes airfield, it's most likely that he was originally buried at Janes, at the cemetery of No.31 CCS.

Some 560 of the 711 graves now at Sarigol were transferred from Janes in 1921 when the cemeteries were concentrated.

Adrian

Welcome to the Forum.

Your grandfather's unit was with 26th Division. What was his name? I don't suppose there is a date on the photo?