Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Margaret's School, Liverpool [SMA]

daggers

Having started this thread, I am re-entering to say that I have passed on a copy of Gill's list of names to the Head of Year [? - used to be 6th Form] who has most to do with the old boys of St Margaret's, Aigburth, formerly Anfield, and who runs the School's Service of Remembrance each year, and asked for his comments. I will report back on any reactions from the school.

I have also tested some of the less common WW1 names on the list against CWGC entries and found links with the Anfield area, as would be expected. This will not be possible for all entries, for example 'Williams, J' brings up over 1000 possibilities, and while Geoff's excellent site makes other searches possible, it does not help when the CWGC entry omits any home address or locality.

However, the list for 1939-1945 includes the name Mary Tudor, which makes me think that the list is far more likely to have come from the church than the school.

My last thought is on the Eric Bell question - a Gore's or Kelly's Directory might speed up the search for Bell's family address, rather than a wait until 1911/12 ! I have been to the Central Library already today and will not be there again this week. Any offers?

Daggers

Would Eric have attended St Margaret's if they were living in Seaforth?

It's possible Gill. SMA was a school one had to pass the eleven plus exam to get into. It offered a very good education (as I'm sure St Margarets Aigburth does today) so people did sometimes travel from further afield than one might think.

Kind regards,

Harry

According to Wikipedia St Margaret's was opened in 1879 as a 'Higher Grade' school,

After the 1918 Education Act it became recognised as a 'Central School' with a selective intake;

Harry as an 'Old Boy' you will find the Wikipedia information interesting.

Richard thank you for passing the 'List' on to the School

Amitiés

Gill

According to Wikipedia St Margaret's was opened in 1879 as a 'Higher Grade' school,

After the 1918 Education Act it became recognised as a 'Central School' with a selective intake;

Harry as an 'Old Boy' you will find the Wikipedia information interesting.

Richard thank you for passing the 'List' on to the School

Amitiés

Gill

Thanks Gill

I'll look at it.

Yes as I said "a selective intake". In my day we called it the eleven plus. I also seem to remember the phrase " technical and commercial" which, in part, described elements of the curriculum at that time.

Kind regards,

Harry

I now have it on extremely reliable authority that Eric Bell was educated, in part, at the 'other' St. Margaret's School, in Princes Road, Toxteth, Liverpool and not at Anfield. He is therefore not connected with the old SMA at Anfield or at Aigburth.

Daggers

I now have it on extremely reliable authority that Eric Bell was educated, in part, at the 'other' St. Margaret's School, in Princes Road, Toxteth, Liverpool and not at Anfield. He is therefore not connected with the old SMA at Anfield or at Aigburth.

Daggers

Thanks Daggers,

If I've been "paying attention", and that was something I sometimes had difficulty with when I was a pupil at St Margaret's, that's the second Victoria Cross winner the "other" St Margaret's can lay claim to. Their school dinners must have been better than ours.

Would it be impertinent of me to ask for the identity of your "extremely reliable authority" ?

Kind regards,

Harry

Hi,

The source of this information is likely to have been the Liverpool Scroll of Fame entry for Bell which I have reproduced below.

Promenade

AMONG many outstanding features of the British Empire's part in the fight for right and freedom is the great role played by the Irish Regiments, the achievements of which are a glorious record. North and South fought side by side on battle fields for evermore famous, and inevitably the sacrifices were heavy. Individual deeds of gallantry were numerous, and exceptional bravery and ability had to be displayed by those who were singled out for special distinction. The feats performed by Captain Eric Norman Frankland Bell, of the 9th (Service) Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, the second officer of the Ulster Division to win the Victoria Cross, rank among the highest. Though not yet twenty-one years of age when he sacrificed his life in the Battle of the Somme, his career had crowded into it an almost unique record, for one so young, of usefulness and service in the greatest cause of all. At the time of his death he was in command of the 109th light Trench Mortar Battery. The army spirit was bred in him, for he was one of three soldier sons of Captain Edward Henry Bell, a regular army officer, who himself, though retired, joined his old regiment, the Royal Inniskillings, at the outbreak of the war, and was instrumental in forming several battalions for service overseas. During the war Captain Bell, senior, fulfilled important duties in Gallipoli, Egypt, the Lybian Desert, and in France. Mrs. Bell was an Enniskillen lady, who resided at 22, University Road, Bootle. Young Captain Bell's educational career was spent at St. Margaret's, Princes Road, the Liverpool Institute, and the School of Architecture at the Liverpool University. When quite a boy he showed exceptional ability, and gave promise of rising to a position of distinction in civil life. As a painter in oils and in pen-and-ink drawings he displayed wonderful ability, showing work of rare merit, even at so early an age as twelve years. His progress was rapid, and when he attended the School of Architecture examples of his work were published in several journals of architecture. Although only a student at that time, he received numerous letters of thanks from the parents of other pupils for the valuable assistance he gave their sons during their training. It is recalled that at the age of fifteen a well-known Liverpool artist remarked of him, “What comes to Eric naturally took me years and years of hard study." He was also a musician of considerable skill. A linguist also of no mean ability, he spoke French and German fluently. Notwithstanding his talents, he was naturally a boy of reserved character, especially among strangers, but he had a keen sense of humour and possessed a ready wit. Altogether he had a very taking manner, and was a most lovable boy. On leaving the University he was commissioned to the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers on September 22nd, 1914, being posted to the 6th Battalion. Shortly afterwards he was transferred to form a nucleus for the 8th Battalion. He later made a special application for transfer to the Ulster Division, and on his request being granted he was posted to the 9th Battalion, of which his father, Captain E. H. Bell, was adjutant. He then accompanied the Ulster Division to Seaford, where he attended several courses in which he again distinguished himself. It was in the October of 1915 that he crossed over to France, and subsequently went through a course of trench mortar battery work, becoming commander of one of these latest adjuncts to offensive warfare. How he won the Victoria Cross is set forth in the official account as follows :- " For most conspicuous bravery. He was in command of a trench mortar battery, and advanced with the infantry in the attack. When our front line was hung up by enfilading machine gun fire, Captain Bell crept forward and shot the machine gunner. Later, on no less than three occasions, when our bombing parties, which were clearing the enemy's trenches, were unable to advance, he went forward and threw trench mortar bombs among the enemy. When he had no more bombs available he stood on the parapet under intense lire, and used a rifle with great coolness and effect on the enemy advancing to counter-attack. Finally, he was killed rallying and reorganising infantry parties which had lost their officers. All this was outside the scope of his normal duties with his battery. He gave his life in his supreme devotion to duty." In a sympathetic letter to the bereaved mother the commanding officer, Colonel Ricardo, pays a very high tribute to Captain Bell, and adds further particulars of his gallantry, "The General," he says, "hearing that his parents were old friends of mine, has asked me to write on his behalf, sending his sympathy and telling of the gallantry of Eric, which was outstanding on a day when supreme courage and gallantry was the order of the day. Eric was in command on July 1st of his trench mortar battery, which had very important duties to perform, and which very materially helped the advance. We know from his servant, Private Stevenson, a great deal of Eric's share in the day's work. He went forward with the advance, and coming under heavy machine gun fire, and seeing where it came from, he took a rifle and crawled towards the machine gun and then shot the gunner in charge, thus enabling a party on his flank to capture the gun. His gallant action saved many lives. When in the German lines Eric worked splendidly, collecting scattered units and helping to organise the defence. He was most energetic and never ceased to encourage the men, and set all a very line example. Having exhausted all his mortar ammunition, he organised a carrying party and started back to fetch up more shells; it was whilst crossing back to our own line that Eric was hit. He was shot through the body, and died in a few minutes without suffering. His servant stayed with him to the end, and arrived back quite exhausted, and has now been admitted to hospital. Nothing could have exceeded the courage and resource displayed by Eric. The brigade are proud that he belonged to it. It is only what I should have expected from him. It must be a solace to his father and mother that he died such a gallant death. He was a born soldier and a credit to his regiment. May I add my heart-felt sympathy to my dear old friends." A letter received by the bereaved father from King George read :-"It is a matter of sincere regret to me that the death of Captain E. N. F. Bell deprived me of the pride of personally conferring upon him the V.C., the greatest of all rewards for bravery and devotion to duty." His deeds on this memorable July 1st were the subject of general discussion throughout the whole Division. Those who were serving under him declared that he absolutely gave away his life for others. His batman afterwards went out to search for his officer's body, but never returned. Among his fellow officers he was extremely popular, while his men adored him and would follow anywhere under his lead, for it was characteristic of him that he would never set them to perform a task which he was unable or unprepared to do himself. He had ever the care and comfort of his men in mind, and quite regularly he had parcels sent out from home for distribution among them. The high opinion and the respect they held for him was shown by their genuine expressions of regret when he left them. The impressions of one who had served under Captain Bell are interesting as showing in what regard he was held by those who were his subordinates. One of them, recalling the noble and brave deeds he performed on the day of his death, added "I am not ashamed to admit that I cried like a child at the loss I had suffered. I was about a foot and a half from your son when he was shot down by my side. I shall never forget the look he gave me, until my dying day, and I shall cherish his memory through life and eternity - a gentleman every inch of him, and one of the finest officers in the British Army. Beloved by all, he fell on the battlefield as you would have wished him to do. I stayed by his side until the last (which wasn't long), and I shall never forget the heaven inspired look he gave me before he died."

It is interesting to record that at the time he was killed Captain Bell was using shells in which he devised an improvement. His fame was spread abroad outside the army, and in a letter which he wrote Sir Edward Carson declared "He died a noble death." The impressions of those who were associated with him during his student days are also interesting. Professor Reilly, who formed a very high opinion of him while he was attending the School of Architecture, has since his death written as follows :-" Eric was one of the few men I know who could have won such an honour (the Victoria Cross) without being spoilt by it. He was as modest as he proved to be brave. He had the sensitive temperament of the real artist." Sir Alfred Dale, Vice-Chancellor of the University, has also written :- "Your pride must be as great as your sorrow, and we, in our measure, share in both. But even now you must feel thankful that you had so much to give, and gave it." Mr. Henry V. Whitehouse, headmaster of the Liverpool Institute, has penned the following appreciation of his late pupil :- "Eric Bell was always a charming creature, with a strong artistic feeling. He was an example of honourable boyhood, but rather retiring by nature. If he had stayed longer in the school he would have become a power for good in the best of all possible ways; by force of character rather than by strength of limb. A soldier was the last thing I ever expected him to be, but once he was a soldier I felt quite certain that he would do his duty finely. There are very few of the hundreds of old pupils from this and other schools whose death was a more personal grief to me." Professor A. V. Weisse, of the Liverpool Institute, in a letter of sympathy to the parents of Captain Bell, stated :- "I had a great affection for Eric, and it is a real and personal grief to me to add his name to the list of splendid boys who have so nobly died for us all. May you soon find your grief give place to happy memories of your boy, and a great pride in his fine courage." The principal of St. Margaret's Higher Grade School, Princes Road, also wrote a letter of genuine sympathy, and recalling with pride Captain Bell's connection with the school. He added that they had still at the school one of his drawings (in pen-and-ink) which had been frequently admired by visitors.

Hi,

The source of this information is likely to have been the Liverpool Scroll of Fame entry for Bell which I have reproduced below.

Promenade

Thank you Promenade for taking the trouble to produce this information in its considerable entirety. He was some guy and it's a pity that we old SMA 'boys' can't claim him as one of ours.

Kind regards,

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread which started with an enquiry about a Roll of Honour for St. Margaret's School, once of Anfield, now of Aigburth in Liverpool. [That is to save anyone new the trouble of turning back to page 1].

I can now quote from a note by the Deputy Head, who has been closely associated with the Old Boys Association, to whom I sent a copy of the list Gill traced in the Liverpool Record Office, with a precis of our dialogue here:

"As the school and parish were very close in this phase [ie 1914-1918] of the school's history and as Frederick Westlake and Harold Waterworth [two of those on the list] did have associations with the school I am going to include these names in our list of war dead. We could entitle the list "Those who gave their lives in the 1914-18 war from the School and Parish of St Margaret's."

He adds that the school's chapel is being restored and he intends to place in it a framed list of the war dead, which will now include the names from Gill's list.

This seems to be a fitting conclusion, and it is good to know that the school cares about its past and continues to honour its history.

Thanks again for all the contributions.

Daggers

In Memory of

Rifleman Fred Hector Wedlake

No 1753

1/6 Battalion King's (Liverpool) Regt [Liverpool Rifles]

post-542-1209132312.jpg

Fred Hector Wedlake was born in Yeovil in April 1888 the son of George Wedlake (a police constable) and Rhoda Wedlake (nee Hector - she died in 1897 aged 33). His parents, who married in Taunton in 1885, went on to have another son Frank Albert Wedlake (who, like his father, became a policeman) - both brothers were to lose their lives in the war - Frank, who was called up as a reservist, died of wounds on 21/9/14, he was a Gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. In 1892 a daughter was also born, Ella Emily Wedlake. In 1917 she married Cornelius Crew, a fishmonger, in Sturminster. Cornelius Crew served with the Dorset Regt in the Great War and appears to have survived. At the time of the war George Wedlake lived at Stalbridge Weston, Blandford, Dorset later moving to The Infirmary, Salisbury.

Fred Wedlake was educated at Cliffe House School, Warminster and between 1906 and 1908 at St Mark's College London where he trained as a teacher. Prior to the war it is known that Fred served for a time with the 2nd South Middlesex Volunteers. Having qualified as a teacher Fred moved to Liverpool to take up a position in St Margaret's School, Anfield and was living at 125 Belmont Rd when the war began. On 8/8/14 he enlisted in Liverpool as Rifleman No 1753 in the 6th Battalion King's (Liverpool) Regiment [Liverpool Rifles]; together with the Liverpool Scottish the Rifles saw themselves as an elite unit and were particular who they allowed to join the Battalion. At the time of his enlistment Fred was described as 5' 11" tall with good physical development. He crossed to France from Southampton with 'B' Company of his Battalion on 24/2/15 on board the SS City of Edinburgh. A little more than two weeks later he was dead. He was the 5th of about 1100 officers and men who were to lose their lives with the Battalion during the war and the first Liverpool teacher to be killed in the war. At about 6pm on Saturday 13/3/15 the men of 'B' Company were involved in carrying up sandbags, ammunition and various trench stores for the Dorsets who were in the line in the Ypres Sector. On his way up to the trenches Fred was struck in the abdomen, presumably by shrapnel, and evacuated to 84 Field Ambulance where he died the following day. He now lies in Ramparts Cemetery (Lille Gate) Row E Grave 8. Fred Wedlake was/is commemorated on two Merseyside war memorials; the Parish Church of St Margaret, Belmont Rd, Anfield (unfortunately destroyed by fire 1961) and the Parish Church of Holy Trinity, Richmond Park, Anfield, Liverpool.

Daggers,

Thank you so much, as you say it is a fitting and satisfactory conclusion to this topic, I am so glad that the names of these men will be placed in the School chapel.

It is uncanny that I should be here in France with the list of names which I came across quite by chance in Liverpool Record office some years ago.

It is also fitting that the family tradition with the School continues to the present day.

I quote from a scroll presented to my Grandmother by the School on the occasion of her retirement after thirty years as caretaker

"Her devotion to the welfare of the School has been exceptional;her work has not been limited by the excellent conduct of her defined duties but rather by a benevolent and conscientious activity on behalf of the boys in particular and the social affairs of the young people of the Parish in general".

Gill

• 4 months later...

I'm lifting this thread from April in order to say that through some mishap St Margaret's School have asked me for another copy of the list I compiled with much help from Forum members, Gill and Promenade amongst them.

This has given me the opportunity to do some more digging, and most of the names now have their CWGC data attached, less deletions of the nationality and Commonwealth slots to save a little space. I have added some pointers to the geography of cemeteries, for clarity, and expanded abbreviations, which might otherwise become lost in the mists.

There are still a few names where I have drawn a blank or found too many 'possibles' to include them all, but feel happy that justice has been done to those from the school who fell in the two Wars.

If anyone would like a copy, and can suggest an easy means of transfer of a Word file of 38 pages with some inset photos, let me know.

Daggers

• 3 weeks later...

Daggers, I stumbled across this topic whilst searching for information on St Margarets Higher Grade School, Princes Road, Liverpool, where my man attended until the age of 11 - he was 2nd Lt William D.H. Lilley who served with 1/6 Rifle and later 1/8 Irish battallions of the Kings Liverpool Regiment. Throughout your investigations, did you discover whether there is a memorial at the Princes Road School or indeed anything at all about the ex-pupils who served during WW1?

I'm lifting this thread from April in order to say that through some mishap St Margaret's School have asked me for another copy of the list I compiled with much help from Forum members, Gill and Promenade amongst them.

This has given me the opportunity to do some more digging, and most of the names now have their CWGC data attached, less deletions of the nationality and Commonwealth slots to save a little space. I have added some pointers to the geography of cemeteries, for clarity, and expanded abbreviations, which might otherwise become lost in the mists.

There are still a few names where I have drawn a blank or found too many 'possibles' to include them all, but feel happy that justice has been done to those from the school who fell in the two Wars.

If anyone would like a copy, and can suggest an easy means of transfer of a Word file of 38 pages with some inset photos, let me know.

Daggers

Well done Daggers, thank you for all your hard work and your dedication to this project.

Perhaps St Margaret's can help with transfer of the file?

Gill

• 4 weeks later...

St Margaret's School in Aigburth, Liverpool held its annual Remembrance service this morning and observed (impeccably) the Two Minutes Silence.

The names on their expanded Roll of Honour was read out by students, with particular mention of two WW1 victims, and they plan to change the featured names each year.

Again, many thanks to those who helped with information. I was impressed with their service and feel that Remembrance is safe in their hands.

D

• 3 months later...

Although Sgt David Jones VC was discussed in this thread last year, that was a red herring as he was at another St Margaret's School. In case this catches the eye of those interested in Jones, you might be interested in a chapter on him in "Liverpool VCs" by James Murphy (Pen & Sword, £19.99, publ. 2008).

23 VC winners with Liverpool links are discussed in some detail

D

• 8 months later...

I know this is a very old post but I thought this maybe of interest ... and fitting especially today ! ( just as an aside my Mum and her brothers went to St Margarets Anfield !! )

In Memory of

Captain ERIC NORMAN FRANKLAND BELL

V C

9th Bn., Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

attd. 109th Light T.M. Bty.

who died age 20

on 01 July 1916

Son of Capt. E. H. Bell, of 22, University Rd., Bootle, Liverpool. Native of Enniskillen, Ireland.

Remembered with honour

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

In February of 2001 a Victoria Cross medal arrived in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh from New Zealand.

The medal had been in New Zealand for the previous 70 or more years. In 1916 it had been posthumously awarded to Enniskillen born Captain Eric Norman Frankland Bell.

Eric Bell's father was a quartermaster in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers so it was no surprise that his son followed in his father's footsteps and joined the 9th Battalion RIF.

On 1st July 1916 - A date which was later to become known as the first day of the Battle of the Somme.- Captain Bell was in command of a Trench Mortar Battery at Thiepval, France. Here is the citation which accompanies this prestigious medal.

Captain Eric Bell VC

" For most conspicuous bravery. He was in command of a Trench Mortar Battery, and advanced with the infantry in the attack, when the front line was hung up by enfilading machine-gun fire. Captain Bell crept forward and shot the machine-gunner. Later, on no less than three occasions, when our bombing parties, which were clearing the enemy's trenches, were unable to advance, he crept forward alone and threw trench-mortar bombs among the enemy. When no more bombs were available, he stood on the parapet under intense fire and used a rifle with great coolness and effect on the enemy advancing to counter-attack. Finally, he was killed rallying and reorganizing infantry parties which had lost their officers. All this was outside the scope of his normal duties with his battery. He gave his life in his supreme devotion to duty. "

London Gazette 26 September 1916

His body was never recovered.

The Medal came into the possession of Bell relatives in New Zealand who many years later generously decided it's rightful place was in the safe keeping of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers' Museum, in Enniskillen. And so, through intermediaries, they eventually arranged for it to be handed back to the regiment. It is now housed in the Castle Keep, Enniskillen Castle.

post-7335-1257705681.jpg

post-7335-1257705692.jpg

post-7335-1257705790.jpg

Trying again ... at last !! ... except you can't see his name .... if anybody would like a higher resolution picture ... just let me know !! :) .... I don't understand why I can't upload a picture any bigger ... !! ( maybe I used up too much space on this page !! :unsure: )

post-7335-1257707252.jpg