Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ermelo Kommando

Guest Guard 1

Please could anyone help with this. Does anyone know anything about this South African unit?

Is there a forum member that will do South African research?

All the best Rowland.

Ermelo was able to field two kommandos, Ermelo A & B. The first mention I have of them is during Botha's advance on Windhuk during the South-West Africa campaign. Both kommandos were in the 2nd Mounted Brigade, commanded by Colonel JJ Alberts. Ermelo A was attached to the right wing, under Colonel Commandant Badenhorst. Ermelo B was in the left wing, under Colonel Commandant R Collins.

The kommandos were in action on March 20, 1915. The right wing attacked the Germans at Pforte, while the left wing circled north and then cut off the railway at Jakalswater.

The Ermelo Kommandos were in action again during the final advance leading to the Germans' surrender. In late April and early May 1915, they helped outflank the retreating Germans and cut-off the railway from the north to Windhuk.

By the end of the campaign, they had covered 480 miles.

Rowland

The 'Commando' was the fighting unit employed by the Boers in the 2nd Boer War (2nd. South African War) of 1900-2.

It was a unit containing volunteers from a particular town and its surrounding districts. The Ermelo Commando - which was commanded by Jan Smuts at the Tugela - was raised from those form Ermelo and its surrounding district.

Similar units were employed during WW1 against the Germans when the Ermelo Commando was again activated.

This is the Roll of Honour of the SA units employed in WW1 in Africa.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/2...text/SA1914.TXT

Can your post more detail?

Dave

Sorry Rowland. My sources do not mention him. Is there a family connection? Was he killed during the war?

Burger is a townsman or citizen. My guess that would be the equivalent of private.

Hi Robert,

No connection to me. His name is on a 1915 star I got of a friend of mine about 5 years ago. I keep doing a search on the internet for this regiment. But as with all the things I try and find I always turn up nothing.

I've been collecting medals for about 7 years now. Mostly Lincolnshire regiment and Naval medals. But I always like something a bit different.

It just seems realy intresting that a medal like this could turn up in Lincolnshire.

Many thanks Rowland.