Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East of Ypres!

cockney tone

Frie,

Thanks for posting it.

As to the place of the X : I agree. It could very well be the Diamond Cutting Factory?

I tried to find the location on two maps of Ypres, one of 1882, the other 1910, but unsuccessfully.

However, as to the buildings extra muros (ramparts) on these two maps, the marked buildings were very scarce, and I think : not complete.

Aurel

Frie,

thank you very much for sharing the photo i am very grateful.

Tafski,

sadly my relative DOW's in 1916 so if he 'borrowed' any for safe keeping they never found there way back to Blighty!

Regards,

Scottie.

• 1 month later...

Hello to all of you.

Maybe the dutch-speaking participants to this discussion should visit the website of Ypres. It mentions the "Kruisstraat" on the site as being de "Capucijnen wijk", near the "capucijnenstraat"

GODFRIED DE TEMPELIER

De naam van deze reus vindt zijn oorsprong bij het Hof der Tempeliers (Tempelierstraat – zijstraatje Dikkebusseweg).

Godfried van Sint-Omaars, alias de Tempelier, medestichter van de Orde der Tempeliers, stichtte in 1127 op zijn erf langs de zuidoost zijde van de Timpelstrate (later de Dikkebusseweg) een godshuis dat de naam Tempeliershof kreeg.

Men noemt hem ook wel de reus van de "Kruisstraat" (verwijzend naar de jaarlijkse kermis op deze wijk).

So it is possible those soldiers entered the city from the other side of town. My opinion... maybe there was more than one diamond factory in Ypres at that time?

About the wine merchant: it's the upper (old) building. The 3 buildings under are the rental garages I believe.

And just to add a bit to that - I have a reference to one of the Corporals in 122nd HB being killed by shellfire in 1915 whilst 'at the factory' - the Battery itself was at the village/hamlet of Kruisstraat just south of Ypres and I can't imagine he would have been too far away from the gun positions?

What other factories might have been in that area?

Alan

Hello,

A few days ago, I found this thread on the forum. Maybe I can help you with some information.

My father has been working at a diamond factory in Ypres from 1928 until 1930. Due to the economic crisis, the factory has gone bankrupt in 1930.

He said me that it was the property of Baron de la Kethulle. This is still an aristocratic family in Belgium.

After the dead of my father in 2002 we have found 3 pictures of the factory (two taken at the inside and one at the outside). This is not the building where the wine-merchant SIX is located now.

I'm now searching where that factory could have been build. On the photo there is a house in the background. I'm trying to find this location.

Dirk

hello,

after the war there was a diamond factory near the station and veemarkt but that is not the same place as the one before the war( area bascule) and the diamondfactory mentioned in the wardiaries. about kruisstraat there were several places with the name kruisstraat. like there were several hoornwerk area's.

kind regards

sabine