Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Palace Camp

NigelS

Please can anybody advise where "Palace Camp" was? The History of the London Rifle Brigade 1859 – 1919 gives: "On 11th August the L.R.B. trained to Palace Camp , and on the 12th a move was made in heavy rain along cross country-roads, which were deep in mud and exposed to shell-fire, to Halfway House". This was in 1917 prior to the L.R.B.s involvement in the Battle of Langemarck. I know the location of Halfway House, but Palace Camp would appear to be a bit further afield. In Poor Bloody infantry by WHA Groom (he was with the L.R.B.) he gives: August 13th - It had been raining on and off for some days, but as we marched away from Abeele it eased off to give a dark damp afternoon with plenty of low cloud." Was Palace Camp at Abeele (or Abele) on the French/Belgium Border or somewhere else?

• 4 months later...

For what it is worth, Abeele area sounds your most likely bet to concentrate your search - lots of troops for Third Ypres were trained up to that area. For example, my grandfather, with 7/Leicesters, off loaded near Godeswaeresvelde ('God wears velvet') when they were moved up for the battle, and that is fairly close to Abeele; if memory serves me correctly, and away from my books there were sidings in the Abeele area.