Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters Pte. C.J. Spyve

Max

Recently my wife discovered that one of her gg uncles had been killed in the Great War. His details are: CJ = Cecil John

Name: SPYVE

Initials: C J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 17/12/1916

Service No: 28482

Additional information: Son of Walter and Fanny Spyve, of Bothamsall, Retford, Notts.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 15.

Cemetery: WOBURN ABBEY CEMETERY, CUINCHY

Do any of the Sherwood Forester experts out there know what the 2nd Battalion was doing on 17th December 1916, or have any further details on Cecil.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy

Hi Andy

According to the Regt History the 2/SF were in trenches south of La Bassee Canal (west of Cuinchy) during the month of December. The tenches named are Harley Street, Esparanto Terrace and Marylebone Road.

Looks like they came under frequent trench mortar attacks and resorted to a raid on the night of Dec 19-20 to repress this activity. During December the Battalion suffered 3 killed, 10 wounded and 1 missing (but no names given).

cheers

Mike

Soldiers Died in the Great War-

Spyve Cecil John, born Bothamsall Notts, enlisted - Worksop Notts, abode - Retford Notts, 28482, Private, killed in action, France and Flanders 17/12/1916

sm

Thanks lads. I will be in Retford tommorrow and I will take a look at the rather grand memorial to see if he is listed.

Many thanks again

Andy

• 2 months later...

A quick glance at my (incomplete) Silver War Badge list suggests an enlistment date of between 26th - 29th July 1915. Similar numbers fall in that range but are scattered amongst the battalions.

James

I can tell you that he is not on the memorial in retford

I know, I was very disappointed when I got down there...Wonder why he isn't listed.

A quick glance at my (incomplete) Silver War Badge list suggests an enlistment date of between 26th - 29th July 1915. Similar numbers fall in that range but are scattered amongst the battalions.

Thanks James, thats very useful indeed.

Called at Bothamsall today whilst coming past, they don't have a war memorial there although there is a 2nd W.W. man commemorated in the Cemetery, could not get in the Church to see if there was a memorial plaque.

Regards Cliff.

Here's his headstone:

post-2154-1201378823.jpg

...and by the time I come along the experts have said just about everything.

Sorry, nothing left for me to offer.

Here's his headstone:

Anthony

Well, that really is a bonus!!! Thank you very much indeed!!

Andrew, I'm sure that I will have lots more questions for you to deal with ;)

Andy

Called at Bothamsall today whilst coming past, they don't have a war memorial there although there is a 2nd W.W. man commemorated in the Cemetery, could not get in the Church to see if there was a memorial plaque.

Hello Cliff

Thanks very much for having a look. I will tgry to find out if I can get in touch with the vicar, its got to be worth a shot.

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy,

No problem. We went there in September last year and as the Foresters are one of my interests i tend to photograph any graves i come across, just in case.

If you want a better copy of the photo, let me know and i will let you have it. Just let me have an email address for you and i will get it straight across to you