Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Egyptian Labour Corps

michaeldr

Anyone interested in the wider aspects of the Sinai & Palestine campaigns may wish to take a look at the English edition of the Ha'aretz newspaper of Friday 17 Jan 2003.

In the Week's End section there is an article by Joseph Alghazy entitled

"Silent testimony of cruelty" which covers the Egyptian Labour Corps.

Although principally concerned with their memorials, the author quotes from British and Egyptian sources and provides a useful sketch of the corps. Numbering 100,000 (per British figures) the poor treatment of these men was one of the main causes of the Egyptian insurrection of 1919, which in turn led to the recall of Allenby to Cairo, this time as High Commissioner.

To see the article go to www.haaretz.com - then under Print Edition click on Weeks End - and once there click on Silent testimony of cruelty.

Do you have an interest in the Egyptian Labour Corps. If so, I have the records of a gent from my village who was commissioned from the East Kents into the ELC. There is an interesting couple of pages describing his aptitude test (leading a treck of camels and men). I'd be glad to send you the files.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

A Memorial Laboratory was erected at Giza Opthalmic Hospital in Cairo, to commemorate the fallen of the ELC and the Camel Corps, and presented in 1925. A picture appears in the 1928 Times publication War Graves of the Empire. If you would like a copy...