The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

understanding medal card

hungoverlee71

I`ve downloaded my Grandfathers WW1 medal card from the National Archives.

I just won't to clarify that i understand the regiment part.

His name was William Plant No 58104

He was in Royal Field Artillery and was a driver

where it states his medals it has what hopefully are his units or brigades

RFA 189/B & RFA/5AB

Can i presume that 189/b is the 189 battalion and 5AB is the 5th Artilliery Battalion

Any help is greatly appreciated

Lee

Lee,

Welcome!!

They are unfortunately not his Brigade. The figures are the roll that he appears on for his British War and Victory Medals.

Sorry!

Welcome to the forum Lee :D

Like Anthony has said the figure relate to the medal rolls also held at the NA, sadly this are not searchable online. The rolls may have William's battery and brigade numbers on them.

What more can you tell us about William? There are several William Plant's in the Army Pensions, alas none with the same number. Are there any other details on the MIC?

cheers, Jon

Welcome to the forum Lee :D

Like Anthony has said the figure relate to the medal rolls also held at the NA, sadly this are not searchable online. The rolls may have William's battery and brigade numbers on them.

What more can you tell us about William? There are several William Plant's in the Army Pensions, alas none with the same number. Are there any other details on the MIC?

cheers, Jon

thanks for the welcome

oh well looks like a trip to London.

Unfortunatly i have very little info on my grandfathers war experiance as he passed away when i was three. and my Mom didnt know anything either except she thought he was in the cavalry as he had his spurs, but she dosn't know what happened to them after he passed way.

I've checked the pension records on Ancestry and he's not on there.

The only other info on his medal card is : theatre of warfirst serviced (1) France

date of entry there in 10/7/15

and next to his Victory medal in the remarks column is 29/9/69

Lee

Ok Lee we can narrow things down a little, the 15th (Scottish) Division moved to France between the 7th and 13th July 1915, so there is a possibility that William was part of the 70th, 71st, 72nd or 73rd RFA Brigades which served with this division. Service numbers I'm not too good with so I can't help you there. You could start a new post with regards to the date of entry that you have (10/07/15) to assertain which RFA brigades sailed on that day.

cheers, Jon

ps the numbers that follow the Victory medal are again for reference use and not a date

she thought he was in the cavalry as he had his spurs, but she dosn't know what happened to them after he passed way.

Lee,

Welcome to the forum

As a driver in the RFA he would have worn spurs.

Peter