The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Charles Falk 1st Queens Royal West Surrey Regt Died 7th November 1

Will O'Brien

As per CWGC

FALK, CHARLES CHRISTIAN

Initials: C C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 07/11/1914

Service No: L/6408

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. C. 7.

Cemetery: LARCH WOOD (RAILWAY CUTTING) CEMETERY

& the cemetery info - also from the CWGC

Cemetery: LARCH WOOD (RAILWAY CUTTING) CEMETERY

Visiting Information: Wheelchair access to cemetery with some difficulty. For further information regarding wheelchair access, please contact our Enquiries Section on telephone number 01628 507200

Location Information: Larch Wood Cemetery is located 4 km south east of Ieper town centre, on the Komenseweg, connecting Ieper to Komen (N366). From Ieper town centre the Komenseweg is located via the Rijselsestraat, through the Rijselpoort (Lille Gate) and crossing the Ieper ring road, towards Armentieres and Lille. The road name then changes to Rijselseweg. 1 km along the Rijselseweg lies the left hand turning onto Komenseweg. 2.7 km along the Komenseweg lies the left hand turning onto Larch Wood Cemetery. The cemetery itself is located 400 metres along a rough single tracked road which leads to an ungated railway crossing, immediately adjacent to the site.

Historical Information: The cemetery was begun in April 1915 and used by troops holding this sector, particularly the 46th (North Midland) Division and the 1st Dorsets, until April 1918. It was enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from the battlefields of Ypres and from German cemeteries in Belgium. The cemetery contains 856 burials and commemorations of the First World War. 321 of the burials are unidentified and there are special memorials to 82 casualties known or believed to be buried in the cemetery. Other special memorials record the names of five casualties buried in German cemeteries whose graves could not be found on concentration. The cemetery was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens.

No. of Identified Casualties: 536

Given Charles' date of death & the first use of the cemetery, I think it's safe to assume that he was either one of the poor unfortunates who had lain out in the battlefields until the end of the war or that he had been buried by the Germans & reburied at Larch Wood after the armistice.

Charles appears somewhat illusive. I can't find him on the 1901 or 1881 census. Nor can I find any record of his birth. I think I may have found a record of a marriage in the September quarter of 1906. The marriage was registered in Elham, Kent. Looking at the number of 'Falks' on the census it is clear that a lot of them are not British born - Many are Swedish, Russian or German in origin. Perhaps the reason I can't find a record of Charles' birth is because he wasn't British born