The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW2 Deaths

chrisharley9

Have got an odd one for this sub forum -

My Chiropodist's uncle (a British citizen) was born in France - unable to be evacuated in WW2 he ended up serving with the French Resistance & was killed in action with them - I think that he should be commemorated with the Civilian War Dead of this country - how to do I go about acheiving this - any advice appreaciated

Chris

The process is the same - almost.

You will need to prove that he was British - birth certificate. Prove he died - Death Certificate. Then prove that the two pieces of paper refer to the same man. The process with CWGC is the same as with non-coms.

What makes you think he was British?

Terry

the family have informed that he is British - as I have seen his brothers DC who was also born in France & was registered with the British consulate at Nice so I hope that he was also registered there

Chris

Chris

That bodes well. It would be the required practice to register a Brit born overseas with the consulate/embassy. It will mean that there is a UK birth certificate.

• 3 months later...

Actually know having spent time researching this chap it now transpires that he was an SOE officer & is commemorated on the Brookwood Memorial - have got lots of info on him so a good result

Chris

Neil

when I have the documents full assembled I will forward them to you

Chris