Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What are these ribbons?

lionboxer

Can you tell me what the ribbons are for please? It was taken in September 1919 when the man in question was in the Bombay Police. He was entitled to the 14/15 Star, BWM and VM. He was awarded the DCM which I believe is the first ribbon but I can't make out the other two. He was present at the Delhi Durbar 1911 and I wonder if he was awarded the Durbar medal.

Lionboxer

post-1364-1194455685.jpg

I think the line up is DCM followed by the 1914-15 star as no rosette and I think the Delhi Durbar medal which I beleive like coronation medals follow gallantry and campaign medals.

Rob

Far more interestingly...whose is the slim hand with the delicate bracelet and full set of wedding and engagement rings resting lightly on the soldiers manful chest?? Whiff of intrigue perhaps. Come on LB publish the whole photo!! SG

I'm sure I have the Dehli Durbar medal roll somewhere but can't just lay my hands on it. If you post his hame and regiment I will check his entitlement.

The roll I have only covers the British army though as I believe the one for the Indian Army was published in a separate volume.

Peter

That looks to me like an Asian ladies hand.

Whats the betting the bloke is too :rolleyes:

Well that created quite a response, thank you Pals. The man in question is 7609 Sgt John Henry Preston DCM formerly of the 2nd Norfolks. Joined the Bombay Police after his discharge in June 1919 but died of pneumonia in January 1920. The photo is of him and his Indian wife taken in September 1919 at what we think could be his wedding (hence the hand showing off the rings). After trailing this man for over two years now we finally made contact with his family liviing only three miles away and they came up with some cracking photos, including an oak framed one of Preston in the Norfolks guard of honour for King George V at the Delhi Durbar 1911. We first found him in the church service records where it was scribbled that a memorial service had been held for him in March 1920 and from there the trail grew. I can't explain the emotion it caused to finally see his face as we know so much about him and his movements up to and including his burial in Sewri Cemetery Bombay. But what we didn't know was that he was married to a beautiful Indian lady (we can see why he stayed in India!!). I will post the full picture later.This now opens up further research as the family didn't know what we knew and vice versa. Any other comments?

Lionboxer

Lionboxer,

7609 Sgt John Henry Preston was not awarded the Dehli Durbar 1911 medal. It was not an automatic entitlement for all men who attended, there was, in theory, a set system of allocation to the regiments to the units present. About one in four of men present were chosen to recieve the medal. However many men later obtained and wore the medal, or ribbon, on the underatandable grounds that they were present at the time and as deserving of the medal as the rest. I believe my Grandfather fell into this catagory.

Peter

if hes not on the Delhi Durbar 1911 roll, then its Coronation 1911. Its the same ribbon design.

Mick

And yes the Delhi Durbar 1911 and Coronation 1911 are different medals.

Mick

if hes not on the Delhi Durbar 1911 roll, then its Coronation 1911. Its the same ribbon design.

But the 2nd Norfolk Regiment were present at the Durbar being awarded 9 medals to officers and 24 to ORs.

Peter

Peter

I thought you said at post 9 he wasn't awarded the Delhi Durbar. He could still have been awarded the Coronation 1911.

Mick

Peter

I thought you said at post 9 he wasn't awarded the Delhi Durbar. He could still have been awarded the Coronation 1911.

Mick

Point taken he could have been awarded the Coronation Medal in June and his unit was also present at the Durbar in December.

Peter

I wonder why the ribbons were the same, any ideas? it was possible to be awarded both but only the Coronation 1911 was worn with a crowned clasp 'Delhi'

Mick

I expect the reason nobody commented on the absence of the BWM and VM ribbons was because you all knew that they were not granted until into 1919 and supply of ribbons [never mind the medals!] took a little while.

Havn't got past 1911 yet give us a chance.

Mick

LB thanks for the picture thats very nice. What a tragic tale to think he went all through the war seemed to achieve happiness to die from illness shortly after!!

Well done and good hunting in following it up. SG

this is interesting my great uncle royal marine bandsman george tristram sailed on the royal yacht medina in 1911 to india and took part in the durbar did he get a medal ? thanks tom

Punjab,

Can you tell me the names of the OR's recipients of the Durbar Medal please. We may have other men we're researching who were there as well who may have got the medal. Anyone got the Coronation Medal rolls?

Lionboxer

Punjab,

Can you tell me the names of the OR's recipients of the Durbar Medal please. We may have other men we're researching who were there as well who may have got the medal. Anyone got the Coronation Medal rolls?

Lionboxer

Will take a while, the roll is orgainised alphabetically so will plough through it and post later.

Peter

LB thanks for the picture thats very nice. What a tragic tale to think he went all through the war seemed to achieve happiness to die from illness shortly after!!

Well done and good hunting in following it up. SG

Yes, tragic. He has been recently added to our village war memorial because it was felt he had served his country well and possibly may have been left in ill health or a weakened condition to have secumed to pneumonia. He had been hospitalised several times with undiagnosed illnesses while in Mespot and was evacuated to Colobar hospital in Bombay before his discharge from the army, where we think he met his wife who may have been a nurse. He died while still in the service of the Crown i.e. Bombay Police.

Lionboxer

Punjab,

Many thanks indeed for going to all that trouble, but as all too frequent in this research business it didn't help!! (but it's still useful info) I note that in the remarks column sixteen of the thirty two recipients were on railway duty, what about the hundred or so men furnished for the Guard of Honour, and the many hundreds more that lined the route? No wonder some of them felt a bit short changed and obtained and wore there own medal. I wonder if this caused some resentment among the ranks? The two guard commanders, Lodge and Oldman got the medal but not the subalterns Floyd and Montgomerie who carried the Kings Colour when the King landed and departed at Bombay, though Hall and Frere did when they carried the colours in Delhi. Just as a matter of military historical record the 2nd Norfolk Regiment have "the distinction of having furnished the first and last military Guard of Honour over the person of His Imperial Majesty King George V during his historic tour in India. Historic and unprecidented in that it is the first occasion on which an English Reigning Sovereign has visited his Indian Empire."

Could this ribbon be confused with any other or am I right in thinking the consensus of opinion is that it is the Coronation medal? Where to next Pal's? Thanks again Punjab.

Lionboxer