Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt / Cpt Constantine, 4th Yorskshires

steve fuller

Hi Pals

I am playing with the new look LG and have not found the above at all. The Officer is Norman Herbert (or vice versa) Constantine who's MC was awarded Jan 1917 so may have been missed in the New Years list or more likely I cant find it on the new LG.

Can anyone help please? Many thanks

New Years Honour, 1917.

Lt. (temp. Capt.) Herbert Norman Constantine, Yorks. R.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...erbert%20norman

The search picked him up as "Constantino"

Steve.

P.S. I have some bits on Afford, but I've only just got my PC back online after a boiler upgrade (the house, not the PC!). I'll try and sort some stuff for him tomorrow.

P.P.S. I have also received the Hedges doc but haven't had chance to read through it. It does look a thorough piece of research...

Middlesbrough man Herbert Constantine was born in the town in 1892 and attended Clare College at Cambridge before the war.

He joined the 4th battalion in the Ypres area in 1915 and was gassed and wounded in action in May of that year. He was with the battalion at the Actions at the Bluff in early 1916 and in September of that year took part in the Somme offensive.

1917 saw the battalion at the Arras battles and in the autumn involved in the Passchendaele offensive. Captain Constantine fought during the German Spring Offensive in 1918 and also at the Battle of the Lys. After these actions the battalion were moved down to positions near Craonelle on the Chemin des Dames Ridge.

Here on May 27th 1918 the Germans launched a surprise attack and the 4th Yorkshires suffered grievous losses including Captain Constantine who was killed in this action at the age of 26.

His grave lies in La Ville Aux Bois British Cemetery on the Aisne just north of Reims.

Captain Herbert Norman Constantine MC was the son of Mr J and Mrs M L Constantine of Harlsey Hall near Northallerton in North Yorkshire.

He is also remembered on Middlesbrough War Memorial at the town’s Albert Park and was also named on a memorial in the reading room of the Cleveland Club in Middlesbrough.

Bob.

Steve - many thanks LG genius. No rush on the other guys mate - as & when convenient to you!

Bob - lovely info, thank you.

Right, Ill try and track his citation down now, using the other names! Many thanks again

You're probably wasting your time with a citation from the LG. I haven't yet found one for an officers New Year Honour.

Steve.