Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Documentary (Leo McKern)

John Chalmers

Hello,

I am a new member. My grandfather served in the Great War. I am very keen to get hold of a a BBC documentary first broadcast in 1976 about the Battle of the Somme. It was presented by the late Leo McKern. The opening scene showed him on a train travelling through Picardy.

I think it was repeated a couple of times.

I used to have a VHS copy taped from the TV but sadly this is lost.

I always thought this was a brilliant documentary and far better than others I have seen since.

I am surprised it has not featured in the many repeats shown particularly on the new digital channels

Does any member know where I could hold of a copy on either VHS or DVD or would any member with a copy be willing to let me borrow it for professional copying (for purely personal use)?

I have sent You a PM.

I agree, it was an excellent documentary that has largely stood the test of time.

Some years ago John Hayes-Fisher, a BBC producer and member of this forum, tried to get the BBC to show the documentary again (the last time it was on was in 1986), but sadly to no avail.

I do Indeed..... :)

:rolleyes:

I have sent You a PM.

Thanks for replies and offers of help. Seems bizarre that BBC repeated the B&W series the Great War not so long ago but perhaps there are royalty type issues to be considered in relation to the Leo McKern one.