Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HM Drifter "Ruby Gem"

Guest clogher

I'm researching relatives of mine who were recruited into the RNCVR from Saskatchewan, Canada. The three brothers were sent on loan to the British Admiralty serving primarily on drifters from February, 1917 onwards. At least two of the brothers served on HMD "Ruby Gem". I'm finding research on these drifters quite difficult and would welcome any suggestions.

The only info I can find on 'Ruby Gem' is that she was a RN hired drifter of 76 tons built in 1911. Hire period 1915-1919. She carried one 3pdr gun.

"Ships of the Royal Navy Vol 2" by J.J.Colledge gives basic details of all small ships (trawlers, tugs, drifters & requisitioned ships) in service in any period from the 15th century! (Greenhill Books 1989).

Dittmar and Colledge ' British Warships 1914-1919 ' gives the following.

Admiralty Number 2038, Port Number BF3364, RUBY GEM, hired drifter, 76 tons, launched 1911, 1 x 6 pounder gun, net minesweeper. requisitioned July 1915 and served to 1919.

The port number indicates she was from Banff up in Aberdeenshire/Moray Firth area.

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for that information. I did find out that the Ruby Gem worked out of Lerwick, Shetland Island, at least towards the end of the war. Have the log books for these vessels been archived anywhere?

• 14 years later...

Additional info.

HM Ruby Gem  was Skippered by Alexander Mowat who died at  home in Cullen Morayshire  on the 16/02/1917. I am currently researching those who died in service  1914-1918 who had connections with the Seatown Cullen Morayshire.