Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War documentaries on UKTV History today

George Armstrong Custer

'Dogfight', the well-made documentary dissecting the story of who brought down Von Richthofen is being reshown on the UKTV History channel today, showing at 8am, 12pm, 4pm, and 10pm. And 'The Last Tommy' is being shown at 2pm, 8pm and 11pm.

ciao,

GAC

GAC,

How are you getting UKTV History at 8.00, 10.00 and 11.00 pm? I thought they stopped broadcasting, at least via Freeview, after 6.00 pm from 15 October?

Mick

Mick, the evening schedule can still be accessed via Sky or Virgin, only the Freeview service has been curtailed after 6pm. It's my understanding that this related to UKTV's contract with Freeview only allowing them to broadcast so many hours of programming on Freeview. As a result, UKTV, in trying to maximise advertising revenue, dropped the evening broadcast of UKTV History in favour of what they reckoned was the more populist 'Dave' channel which, they hope, will attract more advertisers because of higher numbers of viewers of the dumbed down variety. I believe that the widespread outcry against this in the press and across bulletin boards on the internet is causing UKTV to currently begin re-negotiations with Freeview and it's likely that at some point extended broadcasting hours will see a return of UKTV History's entire schedule to Freeview.

ciao,

GAC

Many thanks for that update, George. Good to hear I'm not the only one who wants evening UKTV History back on Freeview. In the meantime, though, I'll just have to carry on as I have been doing since 15 October - recording the daytime broadcasts and then watching them in the evening.

Thanks for the info George.

I had wondered what had happened to UKHistory on "Poor Mans Sky"!

IMHO I do not see how during the day at least that repeats of A Question of Sport and Have I got News for You will attract a "dumber" audience. Nuff said.

At least the wife was happy when UKHistory stopped as she gained control of the Digi box and can now watch those dangerous home improvement programmes.

Best Wishes