Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

anyone id kilt and regiment

douglass

Hi all,

i have a copy of a great uncle dressed in kilt uniform in egypt 1919. the owner beleives he was in the Kings Own Scottish Borderers?. i have had the photo coloured and the person doing it didnt think it was KOSB.

I will try and send pic but had trouble the last time and had to send via other email address for anyone who was interested in having ago.

many thanks

douglas

post-2999-1194334753.jpg

Hello

Unlikely to be KOSB unless he was a piper: they were a Lowland regiment, so not kilted.

Is it possible to scan the badge on the Kilmarnock bonnet?

Ron

Hello

Unlikely to be KOSB unless he was a piper: they were a Lowland regiment, so not kilted.

Is it possible to scan the badge on the Kilmarnock bonnet?

Ron

Hi Ron,

photo too blurred to scan, was hoping kilt may give better clue?, ata push i thought of 4th Kosb as they were kilted overseas?.

hopefully we can get to the bottom of it

douglas

Is it me or is that Bonnet DARK ie blue or black that could id the reg if it was .

Dan

Hello

Could the stripe on the kilt suggest Seaforth highlanders? The 1st battalion served in the middle east in WW1.

Cheers

Owain.

Hi there,

i too thought Seaforths but having checked for a George Steele or steel couldnt find any on the PRO.GOV site for medals.

will have to keep trying methinks?????

douglas

I'm with Tom on this. Looks like Seaforths to me.

1st Bn were in Mesopotamia from 24 Dec 1915 (combined with 2nd BW after Kut in Feb 1916) July 1916 independent again and moved to Egypt Jan 1918 until moving to Ireland in July '21 - so this would match with date

1st Garrison Bn were in Salonika from late Aug 1916

I am not sure there were KOSB in Egypt in 1919

1st Bn went to Egypt in 1916 from Gallipoli then back in 1922

2nd Bn were in Egypt in 1923

4th in Egypt in 1917, Palestine in 17/18

so at least on this basis Seaforths looks a better bet to me.

Chris

I'm with Tom and Chris on this---- looks Seaforth.

Are you sure date of the photo is 1919.

The Blue Balmoral came out in late 1914 to replace the Glengarry. It had a short life before being replaced by Khaki Balmorals and later Tam O Shanters. The BVlue lasted until late 1915 when worn withg khaki covers.

Joe Sweeney

Douglas,

If I was honest, I am doubtful whether this photo is in Egypt - just trusting a first instinct, so I'm maybe wrong. I reckon it is about 1915 and in France. If he subsequently went to the Middle East (Mesopotamia) then he would likely be the 1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders, Dehra Dun Brigade. I think they left France in the Winter of 1915 for the Middle East theatre.

There is a good book about the 2nd Black Watch called With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia (a reprint is available through Amazon), which covers this theatre. It also covers the period where the Seaforths and Black Watch were amalgamated for a time.

Hope this is of use

Aye

Tom McC

Whilst I might also go along with the Seaforths, I think I see some writing towards the bottom of the image?

Running at an angle under his feet?

I cannot read it through enlargement or playing with an imaging programme, but maybe it has some clue/pointer for us?

Ian

Hi all,

many thanks for trying to id the egiment.

only just finished speaking with the owner and she says it is dated 21/01/1919 Egypt, She is adamant it K.O.S.B ??.

checked medal rolls with PRO.GOV site and cant find a George STEELE/STEEL for the Seaforths, unless he was attached in someway???

any other ideas comments welcome.

Douglass

Douglas,

The KOSB being a Lowland Regiment wore tartan trews in Dress. However, during the war these were not worn in the field. Instead, they wore the service dress khaki trousers. Without headress on, or in steel helmets, they would look like an English Regiment.

Pipers in the KOSB wore kilts. However, this was Royal Stewart. It was a very distinctive and easily recognised tartan in black and white photos.

Please check the picture of piper Daniel Laidlaw VC, 7th KOSB:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/laidlaw01.jpg

I am pretty certain that the uniform in the picture is not KOSB.

Aye

Tom McC

Based on locations in Gould, James. 1977. "Locations of British Cavalry, Infantry and Machine-Gun Units 1914-24" Heraldene Ltd. p 22. which I noted above, there were no KOSB Battalions in Egypt in 1919.

Any word on the "writing?" Ian T noticed on the front?

I too have looked through the MICs for a candidate and not found one.

Is it possible that his service was only postwar this would explain the absence of an MIC.

Chris

PS - do you have a higher res scan of the original? If so would it be possible to send it by email? pm me if so.

Hi Tom,

thanks for the reply, to be honest i havent a clue about what regiment he is in the only thing certain was the date, owner is adamant KOSB, but as you saykilt doesnt look right. Just out of curiosity did the 4th KOSB wear kilts at Gallipoli? which still doesnt mean he was KOSB.

What with service records almost destroyed I wouldnt know how to find out his regiment?, even pension records at £10 a time would prove very costly.

Not sure what the KOSB Museum or Seaforths one would have if anything?

will keep delving though

thanks again

douglas

Hi Chris,

owner thinks he served during WW1, Only other avenue maybe if he had any children born during the war years it may give his occupation as soldier and regiment? what about absent voting rolls?

perhaps also the photo on the original document has been altered from a faded one to the black and white making the kilt tartan stripes look like another regiment?, but as you say no KOSB were in Egypt at that time?

i will post original to se if anything can be seen again

douglas

Hi Chris,

owner thinks he served during WW1, Only other avenue maybe if he had any children born during the war years it may give his occupation as soldier and regiment? what about absent voting rolls?

perhaps also the photo on the original document has been altered from a faded one to the black and white making the kilt tartan stripes look like another regiment?, but as you say no KOSB were in Egypt at that time?

i will post original to se if anything can be seen again

douglas

Hi Ian,

according to the owner there is no wording on the front, she is bringing me the photo on monday and i will take a few pics with digital camera, i think it may be a smudge/shadow on the front

douglas

on having a closer look, you may be right?? hopefully original will shed light

douglas

• 4 months later...

I agree, he's a Seaforth. Re the Balmoral Bonnet, when I joined the Gordons in 1960 I was issued with a Balmoral, but they werte taken off us shortly after.

Hi

I don't normal get involved in Scottish units but this is too much of a coinsidence.

Please see the attached scans your are spot on with Seaforth but how about the name on the back of the card J H Steele,

I too can't find him on the medal rolls is that because he is the young one or is the card missing I know some were lost between droitwich and Kew when they were taken there in the eighties. Or was his service too late to qualify for a medal?

regards

John

post-27843-1207247157.jpg