Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Am I wasting my time ?

Jennyemmett

What an interesting puzzle!

Here's my 5ps worth.

IF Alexander Middleton and Isabella Walker WERE NOT married, Richard's Birth Cert would still say Mothers MAIDEN Name. That in its self does not show that they were married. It is unusual though, in this respect; if the couple were not married the child would be given the father's surname ONLY IF

1) He was present when the registration was made, and agreed,

2) Sent a SIGNED statement that it was his child and he agreed to the name,

3) The mother made a legal DECLARATION that the father acknowledged the child and agreed to the name.

In this last case the bith certificate should have as a note 'by declaration' although in practice some do not.

In most cases of a single mother registering a birth they would have been unaware of the requirements and not come prepared; draging the dad along, or a note from him. That would leave them the option of possible perjury charges and making the required declaration knowing that dad did not know he had agreed, or registering without using dad's name. The cleverer ones often then used dad's surname as a middle name for the child.

A close look at Richard's birth certificate would be in order, wish I could see it.

Could he have been Alexander Walker?????

An Alexander Walker served & died with the 23rd Londons. He was born, resident and enlisted in Lambeth. His number was (according to SDGW) was 4067.

CWGC have:

Name: WALKER, ALEXANDER

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: London Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/23rd Bn.

Date of Death: 16/09/1916

Service No: 4967

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 9 D 9 C 13 C and 12 C.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Just a thought?

I'll ring my mother to ask her to have another look at the bc, just in case she missed a 'by declaration'

So to recap, on the assumption that they weren't married:

1. If Isabella committed perjury when she registered the birth (I.Middleton on the 29/12/1914) we may never definitively know.

2. If Alexander sent along a signed consent note, would that (or a declaration signed by Isabella) still exist

somewhere alongside the original register?

Also, if we go along the lines that my father was given misinformation and Alexander wasn't killed in WW1, does that help or hinder the search?

Also, if we go along the lines that my father was given misinformation and Alexander wasn't killed in WW1, does that help or hinder the search?

I have a copy the official RAMC Roll of Honour 1914-1919 and there are only two Middletons in it, both commemorated by the CWGC. It was printed in 1924 though and I know of a few RAMC men who missed the original official listings.

There were Stretcher-Bearers in the RAMC, they carried casualties from the Regimental Aid Posts to the Field Ambulances so that much tallies. Taking into account that he is documented as being in the RAMC in 1914, his name may come up on a Nominal Roll or list of members, I will keep an eye out for you. Also, if he wasn't killed his name may appear on an Absent Voters List for the Lambeth area.

By the way, I had a lot of trouble trying to trace my grandmother on my mother's side. She changed her name and lied about her age so I couldn't find her at all in the official birth registers in London. I was beginning to think that she was an alien beamed here from a far away planet but I managed to trace her with the help of a proffessional geneologist who found her on a local church registar in Norfolk. Never give up.

Good luck

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for this. I've seen your website and thought it was amazing. I would be so grateful for your keeping an eye out for him.

I know what you mean about the alien theory! The thought of enlisting the help of a pro researcher has crossed my mind, especially as I live in France so it's not too easy to check records in person.

Martin, does this Alexander Walker have family members listed, or his full address? It's a very long shot but maybe he was a relative of Isabella, if one assumed she hadn't moved far from her parental home?

So to recap, on the assumption that they weren't married:

1. If Isabella committed perjury when she registered the birth (I.Middleton on the 29/12/1914) we may never definitively know.

2. If Alexander sent along a signed consent note, would that (or a declaration signed by Isabella) still exist

somewhere alongside the original register?

Don't rush your fences, you are still in the 'keep an open mind and find all the facts' territory here. Ruling things out and simplifying can come later!

1. No you won't know, she MAY have discussed the position with dad and altough he did not formally agree to all the terms and conditions, she was confident he would and that's near enough for her. If however Mr Middleton was present he would NORMALLY be registered as the informant.

2. Never thought about that before; answer is possibly , but I'm b******d if I'd know where to look. First guess would be the FRC, but they are undergoing refurb at the moment and should reopen with more stuff on-line, but that is at least 6 months away! I'll have a root around in TNA catalogue.

You should also bear in mind that we don't yet know if she was still in contact with Mr Middleton at the time of the birth.

Let us know what the BC says.

BTW do you have them both on 1901 census?

I've searched the census for Isabella Walker, focusing on the London area and there are a couple of likely candidates for daughters, just by assuming she was born between 1880 and 1895ish, making her between 20 - 35ish when she had Richard. Purely arbitary assumption but I have to start somewhere! There were no Isabella Middletons as wife, of a suitable age.

If they didn't live in London, I really wouldn't know where to start, there are dozens of possibilities.

I've also just looked for Alexander Walkers in Lambeth, as per Martin's idea, but neither one of the two I found had an Isabella in the household, which answers my own question in my above post.

There's only one likely Alexander Middleton in London in the census, already discounted. Again, without any more information such as their ages, I don't know how to narrow down the entries from the rest of the country.

I'm showing my ignorance yet again, but what the hey; what are the FRC and TNA ? Thanks.

I'm showing my ignorance yet again, but what the hey; what are the FRC and TNA ? Thanks.

Sorry Family Records Centre and The National Archive (at Kew)

You could try for some help on GenesReunited Record or Tips boards or the Family Tree Forum to nail down their family history. There won't be much help there for Alex's military history though!

With "Alexander Walker" I'm afraid there is nothing beyond the info I've posted. SDGW gives information as to where the individual was born; where he enlisted and where he was resident. Not all of these categories are completed in every case and they do not go beyond naming the down, village, city or district. He is an Alexander, fits the bill as regards Lambeth and has a family related surname, so I wouldn't discard him entirely unless a better option comes along, but I agree that he is a long shot.

Lets hope someone else comes up with another option. Keep watching this space.

Martin