Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Google Earth

paul searing

Hi Peeps

Having recently obtaind old ww1 maps I am using Google Earth to "overlay" 1916 trench maps to be able to obtain a rough idea of area's it make interesting veiwing as I can see on Google Earth inpressions athough 90 years ago in some instaces you can still see a good outline of the old trenches.

I know Google Earth is a little out of date (and needs updating)

any else had any luck if so why not share it with us

Paul :rolleyes:

Hi Paul

I am sadly addicted to Google Earth have draped some trench maps on Loos where my great uncles were in action with RAMC 47th div.

Have also been using it with WW1 aerial photos along the Hejaz railway

Cheers

Dom.

post-3023-1194283877.jpg

And my personal faourite because I am very sad-a crashed Bristol Fighter of 1 Sqn AFC near the Hejaz railway in Jordan from an aerial in Kew, superimposed on google image.

Amazingly it only took about 10 minutes to locate the crash site!

Cheers

Dominic

post-3023-1194285507.jpg

And my personal faourite because I am very sad-a crashed Bristol Fighter of 1 Sqn AFC near the Hejaz railway in Jordan from an aerial in Kew, superimposed on google image.

Amazingly it only took about 10 minutes to locate the crash site!

Cheers

Dominic

Wow Dominic

you sure have made good use of of GE, I two am using it to enhance my research

and just so that you know

Im sad two

so thats two of then.

Paul

Heres my go at Authuille Wood and part of Blighty (Nab) Valley

Authuillewoodoverlay.jpg

Hi Peeps

Having recently obtaind old ww1 maps I am using Google Earth to "overlay" 1916 trench maps to be able to obtain a rough idea of area's it make interesting veiwing as I can see on Google Earth inpressions athough 90 years ago in some instaces you can still see a good outline of the old trenches.

I know Google Earth is a little out of date (and needs updating)

any else had any luck if so why not share it with us

http://www.flashearth.com/

Here is one I did showing where the 8/Borders attacked the Leipzig Salient on the 3rd day of the Somme. Any coomment re accuracy welcome! Pete

post-17990-1194309678.jpg

Here is one I did showing where the 8/Borders attacked the Leipzig Salient on the 3rd day of the Somme. Any coomment re accuracy welcome! Pete

Peter

Here is a direct comparison with another tool, which is NOT Google earth

You will note that the road running top right to bottom left, which I have traced in orange HAS MOVED. It has been relocated to the West of the crater.

Note that the roads traced in the centre of Authville prove the calibration.

These overlays are direct tracings from the trench map, which are then viewed over the Aerial photo.

I'm afraid the amount that I have had to shrink them does nothing for the clarity.

All the best

Guy

post-12226-1194364802.jpg

Here is the trench map tracing, and road. NOT GOOGLE EARTH

An interesting comparison, as your tracing would put the Salient on the wrong side of the road.

You did ask for comments on accuracy, so please do not take it the wrong way :-)

All the best

Guy

post-12226-1194364746.jpg

I love Google Earth and have spent many hours superimposing the maps from Dave's (CROONAERT) excellent web site.

It is surprising the amount of trenches that can still be seen when you know where to look.

Neil

Hullo Guy: Thank you for your post. I'm not at all put out by your comments and not surprised that my mapping has a (relatively small) error. It is good to know where the track from the Salient to the Thiepval Memorial crosses the old German front line trenches as I believe my Great- uncle was last seen fighting near there. Next year, I hope to stand and view the battlefield from that point. Best Regards, Peter

Hello forum

I guess I am (like perhaps many of the forum members) quite late in taking up full use of the PC and internet so it would take us a little longer to "make use" and be able to trace known trench map locations close to there originan positions so perhaps there is a memebr who can help us to be able to put our own markings on our own places of interest.

I suppose also that we all have our own particular research (for me ot the 11th Essex in May 1916 were my grt Uncle was I beileved injured prior to his death near BRIELIN) so we all tend to just look at the areas we want to indeed I would love to get hold of trenach maps and using Google (or any other type) to be able to overlay this would really put "flesh on the bones" it could well be that several people are reserching the same area.

Also

using google Earth and with the aid of the 11Th Essex war diaries (thanks Glyn) I am able to track and mark there possitions through the campain and it make s in a strange way good reading and I like many of us spend as much time as possible trying to retrace my Btn's movements printing the photographic views and scribling notes then saeling each one with the laminator.

so come you experts

tell us how to overlay and draw over Google Earrth (or any thing simular)

and lets share imagies and ideas.

Fairly easy to do. Find the map you want and make a copy of it to a folder on your pc. Then find the area on Google earth.

Then (in Google Earth) Click add/image overlay, browse and click on the copy of the map. Most of the trench maps are marked out in squares of 1000 yards. Click on the ruler, change it to yards and then measure the size of the square. Then resize your map using the arrow keys at the edges. You need to do this horizontally and vertically. Your trench map will now be approximately the same scale as Google. Position the trench map over the Google map. It should fit fairly well. Now you can make little adjustments to get it to fit better. Its very hard to get it perfect but you will get it close enough.

Neil

Its very hard to get it perfect but you will get it close enough.

Neil

That is because the two are in a totally different map projections Neil.

Guy

That is because the two are in a totally different map projections Neil.

Guy

Don't understand Guy, Can you explain please.

Neil

Don't understand Guy, Can you explain please.

Neil

Huge subject Neil, I can't possibly explain it here.

This web site should explain the basics.

Map Projections

Transforming maps between different cartographic systems is a complex mathematical science.

Trench maps are in Bonne projection of 1896, Google Earth I believe uses a modern WGS84 Mercator system. You cannot overlay the two directly because basically they are not drawn the same. You have to do a complex mathematical transform between the two.

Cheers

Guy

Note:

I'm not sure if the link works

Here it is again, just paste into a browser and remove the first x

xhttp://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/mapping/a_projections.html

• 6 years later...

I've just come across this (old) thread: I wonder if anyone can still help, please?

I'm using Google Earth 7 on OS X (10.9.4).

Are there (GE) resources available which will help research into WF trench systems etc and what's still visible of them on the Western Front?

Has anyone produced Overlays/Layers, points of interest for known battle sites etc?

What I'm really aiming to do is produce a slideshow of 'then and now' images - the thens from primary photographs and maps etc; the nows from Google Earth Street View etc.

Any pointers - even via PM - would be gratefully received.

TIA!