Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA Colour patch

davidfegga

Hello all

While Divisions and regiments had their shoulder patches and insignia, I was wondering if Field artillery brigades had their own colour patches?

The reason I ask is that amongst the few things of my Granddads that we have are his corporal stripes , overseas service stripes, and a cloth patch of red and black. His artillery brigade was 175 (Staffordshire) brigade, who were originally attached to the 34th division.

They later became an army brigade, so I was wondering if they used colour shoulder patches as an infantry regiment would? in this case red and black maybe?

Dave

post-6033-1194270195.jpg

Hello Dave

As far as I know, the RFA did not use any coloured unit markings other than their divisional sign (in the case of 34th Div, a 5x5 black and white chessboard) and a red and dark blue badge of the RA. It is possible that your black was originally dark blue which has gone black over time.

The complex system of brigade and battalion "flashes" was primarily to help sort out units quickly during and after an attack. There would have been less need to do this among the Gunners.

Ron

Hi Dave,

I believe these patches were introduced in 1917. I seem to recall seeing a GRO introducing these for Artillery units and Joe Sweeney will be able to shed some light on this. I think it was late 1917. I had one some years ago which had a white dagger embroidered on it for one of the London Divisions.

Regards

Paul

Hi Dave,

Here are some RFA patches mounted in a period frame. The gunner who wore patches is associated through the Christmas card to the 18th Division. Hope it helps.

Mark

Hi Dave,

I believe these patches were introduced in 1917. I seem to recall seeing a GRO introducing these for Artillery units and Joe Sweeney will be able to shed some light on this. I think it was late 1917. I had one some years ago which had a white dagger embroidered on it for one of the London Divisions.

Regards

Paul

post-11424-1194632200.jpg

Thanks for your replies. Looking more closely at the patch the patch, there is a hint of blue, so could be the RA patch.

Dave

• 13 years later...

From the War Diary of the Chief Ordnance Officer, Calais Base, March 1918:

Patch.jpg.47ac9db4ebef423f60a1d6e95baa510b.jpg

Image courtesy National Archives

As mentioned above, 175th became an Army Field Artillery Brigade.

The patches are not something I have not noted before, possibly not recognising them as such thinking they were divisional patches. 

If the Chief Ordnance Officer, Calais Base, is ordering them in March 1918 I wonder how long it was before they started to appear in units ?

Does anyone have any pics of the patches being worn on uniform ?

• 9 months later...
On 25/09/2021 at 17:39, ianjonesncl said:

Does anyone have any pics of the patches being worn on uniform ?

On 25/09/2021 at 16:53, charlie962 said:

To be worn at the top of each shoulder ??

A photo has been found - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30100468  (Thanks to Gunner 87)

Edited by David Porter

52 minutes ago, David Porter said:

A photo has been found - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30100468  (Thanks to Gunner 87)

David / Gunner 87

Many thanks for the photograph.

I had envisaged the patch with the red on the top and black on the bottom, a forerunner of todays RA TRF. 

This photograph proves otherwise.

Ian