Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happened to Thomas?

lubilmaz2

My grandad Thomas Ollerton served in the Loyal North Lancs - he served in S.A. and was part of the 3rd battalion, reg no: 6456, being born 1882 he would have been abt 17yrs. However, he also served in WW1 and we were always told he was taken prisoner somewhere and he had his arm blown off when the allies mistakenly bombed the camp. He finished up a sergeant and I would have thought having his arm blown off would have given him a pension? Todate I have searched 'findmypast' ancestry.co.uk and the national archives but without a reg number this is proving difficult. The only one which may be correct is on the NA which lists a medal card for Serg Thomas Ollerton, 14185 RNL, served in France - how do I know this is him?? He was married in 1903 and had several children by the outbreak of WW1 but how can I gain access to the details behind the medal card to see if this is him. There is no one left alive now who could have helped with this query so PLEASE if there is ANYONE out there can help it would be wonderful. Many thanks in anticipation.

Joan.

If he was discharged due to his wounds he may have been awarded a Silver War Badge. If so, his details will be entered in the Silver War Badge Rolls held at the National Archives.

Is there any mention of 'List' on his Medal Index Card? If you haven't done so, it is worth paying £3.50 to download the card. The SWB Roll may give his age, amongst other details.

When you download the card, post an image of it here and someone should be able to decipher the detail for you.

Ken

If he was discharged due to his wounds he may have been awarded a Silver War Badge. If so, his details will be entered in the Silver War Badge Rolls held at the National Archives.

Is there any mention of 'List' on his Medal Index Card? If you haven't done so, it is worth paying £3.50 to download the card. The SWB Roll may give his age, amongst other details.

When you download the card, post an image of it here and someone should be able to decipher the detail for you.

Ken

Hello Ken,

Thanks for advice - I have downloaded to my PC the medal card which lists t Ollerton 14185 - but I cannot UPLOAD to site as the doc is bigger than the size allowed. I am new to the site and dont know how to do this so I have copied the info below, (hope I havent misread anything).

CAMPAIGN - 1914-1915

Sgt Thomas Ollerton, LNL

A. Victory, H/2/101B6 849

A. British, " " "

B. Star, H/2 4A 20

Theatre of war - France

Qualifying date - 24.9.1915

I cant see anything on card which might say 'list'

Thank you for taking time to help.

Joan.

Joan, you can email the MIC to me if you wish and I'll resize it and post it back on the forum,

cheers, Jon

tomfoolery42@hotmail.com

Joan, you can email the MIC to me if you wish and I'll resize it and post it back on the forum,

cheers, Jon

tomfoolery42@hotmail.com

Wow Thanks Jon, I'm doing it now! How fast is that?

Joan.

how can I gain access to the details behind the medal card to see if this is him.

Really only by seeing if his service papers still survive at the National Archives (only about 30% do) and survive in sufficient state to make a family connection. These are not available online and you'd either have to visit the NA or, alternatively, ordering a copy of the relevent microfilm reel through any Family Research Centre of the Mormon Church.

You mention that you know his service number to have been 6456. Is this his number from the time in South Africa or from WW1? If the latter, then I can't see anyone of this name and number serving abroad during WW1 (which makes me think the man with the number 14185 may not be him). BTW, the 3rd Battalion was the Regiment's reserve unit and remained in the UK throughout the war.

If you havnt already done so, it will be worth you checking through the local newspapers for near to where he lived for the duration of the war (and upto 1919) to see if there's any mention. The veyr local weekly one is likely to be better than, say, the regional evening or daily one.

John

Really only by seeing if his service papers still survive at the National Archives (only about 30% do) and survive in sufficient state to make a family connection. These are not available online and you'd either have to visit the NA or, alternatively, ordering a copy of the relevent microfilm reel through any Family Research Centre of the Mormon Church.

You mention that you know his service number to have been 6456. Is this his number from the time in South Africa or from WW1? If the latter, then I can't see anyone of this name and number serving abroad during WW1 (which makes me think the man with the number 14185 may not be him). BTW, the 3rd Battalion was the Regiment's reserve unit and remained in the UK throughout the war.

If you havnt already done so, it will be worth you checking through the local newspapers for near to where he lived for the duration of the war (and upto 1919) to see if there's any mention. The veyr local weekly one is likely to be better than, say, the regional evening or daily one.

John

Thank you Jon, yes, the 6456 was his S.A. number and no, I havent tried the local papers but I will now as I didnt think of that. One last thing, in your response you say BTW - what does this mean?

Thanks again.

Joan.

Joan,

excuse me butting in but i think John means BTW to be short for By the way!

Good luck with your research,

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Joan

OK - we may be back to thinking that 14185 could be him - on the basis of being the only likely name serving abroad with the Loyals.

6456 sounds as though he served in South Africa as a regular soldier. Regimental archives often have good pre-WW1 records of regulars and it'll be worth your while contacting them at Fullwood Barracks in Preston. Might not tell you if 14185 is our man but you never know what info they might have.

BTW (yes, it is "by the way" - but I promise I'll not do "text speak" :D ), 14185's card shows he first went overseas on 24 September 1915. He might have gone as a replacement to another battalion but I think it much more likely he was an original member of either the 8th or 9th Battalion which arrived in France that week.

John

Joan

Have looked on Ancestry for Thomas but he is not listed. there are 2 George Ollerton's both from Lancashire and a couple of James Ollertons also from Lancashire.

Kew may have a record though so it's well worth a visit.

Regards

Joan,

excuse me butting in but i think John means BTW to be short for By the way!

Good luck with your research,

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Thankyou Scottie I'm glad you butted in, I feel such a fool now as I was going along the lines of BTW meant Battalion, something, something.......... :rolleyes:

Hi,

There is a Thomas Ollerton on the 1891 census, born Preston in 1882.

If he was in the Boer War he would not appear in the 1901 census.

Regards,

Martin

Joan

Have looked on Ancestry for Thomas but he is not listed. there are 2 George Ollerton's both from Lancashire and a couple of James Ollertons also from Lancashire.

Kew may have a record though so it's well worth a visit.

Regards

Thanks for looking Ryegate,

There were four Ollerton brothers and all served in Boer war and WW1, the James you found is mine and the others I have found are Richard and William - only grandad (Thomas) left to find.

My gt grandparents must have felt blessed that 4 sons went to two wars and they all came back. I will take Jon's advice and look through local papers for the relevant timespan.

Many thanks all.

Joan.

Joan

OK - we may be back to thinking that 14185 could be him - on the basis of being the only likely name serving abroad with the Loyals.

6456 sounds as though he served in South Africa as a regular soldier. Regimental archives often have good pre-WW1 records of regulars and it'll be worth your while contacting them at Fullwood Barracks in Preston. Might not tell you if 14185 is our man but you never know what info they might have.

BTW (yes, it is "by the way" - but I promise I'll not do "text speak" :D ), 14185's card shows he first went overseas on 24 September 1915. He might have gone as a replacement to another battalion but I think it much more likely he was an original member of either the 8th or 9th Battalion which arrived in France that week.

John

Thank you John, two jobs for this week, the local papers and Fulwood Barracks I will email them this afternoon.

Thank you thank you thankyou. Have already got more leads today than in the last couple of years, this website is the best and people are so giving. I have uploaded a photo of Sgt Thomas Ollerton on the 'gallery' as again, jpeg was too large to include with 'post' such a shame as someone may have recognised and confirmed he was part of the LNL.

Regards Joan.

Hi,

There is a Thomas Ollerton on the 1891 census, born Preston in 1882.

If he was in the Boer War he would not appear in the 1901 census.

Regards,

Martin

Thanks Martin, yes, this is my Thomas and he wasnt on the 1901 census.

Regards Joan.

Thank you John, two jobs for this week, the local papers and Fulwood Barracks I will email them this afternoon.

Thank you thank you thankyou. Have already got more leads today than in the last couple of years, this website is the best and people are so giving. I have uploaded a photo of Sgt Thomas Ollerton on the 'gallery' as again, jpeg was too large to include with 'post' such a shame as someone may have recognised and confirmed he was part of the LNL.

Regards Joan.

Regards Joan.

Have just emailed Fulwood Barracks so will wait to see what happens and will let you know if the enquiry is fruitful. Bye for now.

Joan.

Many appologies...I can't post the MICs that Joan has sent to me (stay clear of Zone Alarm with Vista :angry: )

On the same sheet is Pte 15099 Thomas Ollerton North Lancs (MIC and SWB card) enlisted 14/09/14, qualifying date 25/09/15. Transfered to Army Reserve Class P (18/12/16) on SWB card and on the MIC says 'discharged'

The MIC for Sgt 14185 Thomas Ollerton has a qualifying date of 24/09/15,

cheers, Jon

Many appologies...I can't post the MICs that Joan has sent to me (stay clear of Zone Alarm with Vista :angry: )

On the same sheet is Pte 15099 Thomas Ollerton North Lancs (MIC and SWB card) enlisted 14/09/14, qualifying date 25/09/15. Transfered to Army Reserve Class P (18/12/16) on SWB card and on the MIC says 'discharged'

The MIC for Sgt 14185 Thomas Ollerton has a qualifying date of 24/09/15,

cheers, Jon

Thank you Jon for your efforts , still waiting response from Fulwood Barracks - watch this space. Also trying to ascertain if the other Thomas Ollerton on sheet (Pvte 15099) is a nephew. Thank you for help.

Wow Sharon - thank you so much for resizing picture. It was a shock this morning when I saw grandad and Nanna looking back at me, but a thrilling one, you are so very kind to take the trouble. For everyone else (thanks to Sharon) this is Sergt Thomas Ollerton who I am trying to ascertain is the RNL 14185 on medal card mentioned in earlier posts. Still waiting for Fulwood barracks to respond to my email.