Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sudbrook Camp

Martyn Gibson

Can anyone tell me whereabouts this camp was located?

Many thanks

Martyn

There is an ancient site in Monmouthshire by this name, not sure if there is any Great War connection though,

Great link Kevin, not come across that one before,

cheers, Jon

Martyn

Sudbrook Army camp was located between Chepstow and Caldicot close to a paper mills.The site was taken over in the 1960s when the mills were expanded and became The St.Regis Paper Co. Sudbrook Mill part of D.S.Smith plc. The Sudbrook Mill, which produced special paper used in the packaging of fruit and vegetables, closed in May 2006. It has now been demolished. Its Post code was NP6 4XT.

During WW2 soldiers from the camp guarded the pumping stations which kept the Severn Tunnel clear of water.

Dave

Martyn.

The location of the camp is roughly just where the new severn Crossing makes landfall as Dave has said. Some old pictures I have seen also appear to be using the Severn foreshore just to the west of Sudbrook and the old GWR pumping station for gunnery in the direction of England..

The ( Iron Age ? ) ancient site mentioned by John was probably also used as part of the camp since it forms a ring on a good outlook over the Severn estuary. Its years since I have been there but if I remember rightly there is a WW2 pillbox built in one of the earth banks of what my father always called "the camp".

Gareth

Guy's thank you all for the replies. Great info as always.

I have had a gentleman email via my website and he mentions this camp as he has a picture of his GGrandfather there in 1915 with the 1st Batt Monmouthshire Regiment. Didn't know where it was though.......so thanks again for taking the time to answer my question

Kind regards

Martyn