Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Malins film

Trinovantes

• 6 months later...
OK. Give me a few days as I'm out of town... holed up in Riyadh... for a while.

Andy M

An attempt to revive this thread, as no reply of Andy followed after 16th of November

Erwin

I'd be very interested to see details pertaining to a different location than that portrayed in 'The True Story' (Andy Robertshaw/Dave Kenyon & Steve Roberts)

Having stood on the spot they suggest (I was there the week they filmed and the spot was obvious (flattened vegetation due to the crew being there)...I have to say I'd take some convincing it wasn't where they said.

What clinches it for me is the 'infantry falling' film clip. That location (as the TV programme describes) is easy to spot as the features on Hawthorn Ridge remain the same today. Marrying up that image is not rocket science...and in so doing you find the spot Malins filmed from.

If you simply imagine Malins camera turning to the left (on it's tripod) from this location...it points directly at the site of the mine.

The 'infantry' film could not have been filmed from anywhere else....if you box your eyes and turn your head/line of vision left...then you have the scene of the mine blowing.

And also, if you assume that Malins didn't lug his camera around much whilst filming from that embankment, there is a photo of two or three men crawling along between the embankment and the Auchonvillers/Beaumont Hamel road. in the background of that photo you can see up the Old Beaumont Road. That is a significant help to position the camera. The photo I am referring to appears on page 70 of the Battlegorund Europe book, "Beaumont Hamel" by Nigel Cave.

Great thread folks, really enjoyed reading it all. I was there in October 2007 and didn't quite get to Malins spot, but I was close enough for the hairs to prickle!

Andy