Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

weights & calibres for shells

per ardua per mare per terram

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can find both the calibre and weights for shells? For example what is the calibre of the Army’s 60 pounder and what was the weight of the Navy’s 4.7” shell?

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can find both the calibre and weights for shells? For example what is the calibre of the Army’s 60 pounder and what was the weight of the Navy’s 4.7” shell?

There is a list in "The World War One Source Book" by Philip J.Haythornwaite isbn i 86019 852x which gives calibre ,shell weight and range of most of the major nation's artillery pieces.

The definitive source for the shells fired by British artillery pieces is the relevant edition of the official Treatise on Ordnance, which was published every ten years or so. The Naval and Military Press recently reprinted the 1905 edition. Other editions can still be found in many libraries.

I have not run into similarly detailed works (whether official or not) for the artillery pieces fielded by other powers.

When dealing with short lists of artillery pieces, one must keep in mind that nearly all artillery pieces of the era of the First World War were provided with more than one type of shell. The more numerous pieces, moreover, were provided with a wide variety of shells, which often differed from each other in terms of weight, payload and maximum range attainable with a given propellant charge. For example, the 60-pounder fired shells that weighed 60 pounds (no surprise there!) as well as projectiles that tipped the scales at 50 pounds.

If no reference materials are handy, the following approximations may be of use.

A typical field gun had a calibre of 3 inches (75mm) or so and fired a shell that weighed about 15 pounds.

A piece with a calibre of 4 inches (100mm) fired a shell that weighed about 30 pounds.

A piece with a calibre of 5 inches (120mm) fired a shell that weighed about 60 pounds.

A piece with a calibre of 6 inches (155mm) fired a shell that weighed about 120 pounds.

For calibres larger than six inches, this scheme falls apart.

• 1 month later...