The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Newmarket on Fergus, Co Clare today

museumtom

Today on the streets of Newmarket on Fergus in Co Clare there will be war on the streets after the parade at 1.30pm by the Un-vets and the organisation of Ex Servicemen. A scroll will be presented to an ancestor of a ww1 Newmarket on Fergus Casualty from the British Army. The ww1 Royal Irish Re-enactors are coming down from the North of Ireland, The Munster Fusiliers Re-enactor guys are coming over from the Curragh and Monesterevin. Battle group west are coming down from Ballinasloe in Galway( armoured vehicles) and myself and my little DAF YA 126 Dutch Weapons Carrier and a Sean Ryan from Clonoulty with his British Weapons carrier are going up from County Tipperary to join in the fun. The whole thing will be recorded by RTE TV and will be shown on Nationwide next Friday evening. The IRA re-enactors and the Black and tans re-enactors will ambush each other on the streets as well. As Kenny Everet says its all done in the best possible taste..

We will be driving in convoy through Tipperary Town around 10.10am, through Oola , Pallas Green and on to Limerick around 10,40am and will hit Newmarket on Fergus around the 1130 hundred hours O'Clock as Corporal Jones would say. I will bring a camera with me and post some pictures on this forum this evening after we get home.

Its gonna be a great fun. I will be driving the truck with the Exploxives sign on the front. If you see us give us a wave.

Time to tool up prepare for the off.

'til later.

Regards.

Tom

Have fun Tom. I,m pleased to see this happening . I hope it is the way forward in peace , And that the Isle may reap some profit from its beauty and history . And let the past be just that . "MO"

Tom, that sounds great fun.

Enjoy your day. And post those pics....

Susan.

i wonder if anyone will ever re-enact such delights as a dusk patrol under the Divis Flats circa 1985?

Mick

Well what can I say? The ambush took place at 10.30 am for the benefit of RTE so it was all over by the time we got there. The parade started at 2,15pm up the town with various battles commemorated including the Napoleonic war. I just put all the pictures that were taken on the net. I left my co-pilot in charge of taking them, Need I say more!!. It was a fun day anyway and if you want to see the ambush you must watch RTE next Friday evening on ‘Nationwoide’. One of the pictures contains myself and the Co pilot, can you spot them? One thing stuck out was that the Royal Irish Rangers were wearing the poppy and without exception everyone was pleased they did. 10 years ago this would not have happened. One ‘funny’ picture I myself took was of a young soldier from the Napoleonic wars doing battle with his gameboy.

Now then off for a few pints for this thirsty driver.

Just back from the few bevies and now have time to upload the pictures. I give them as they were taken.

A most enjoyable day and everyone participated without a single word of the old bias.

Regards.

Tom.

[Broken links removed]

A great day!!

Regards.

Tom.