The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Nigel Pargetter's Battlefield Tour

Mark Hone

On Tuesday 'Nigel Pargetter', the Archers' genial Lord of the Manor set off on an organised battlefield tour to the Somme and Ypres in the footsteps of his uncle. I thought that they might have done some sort of 'outside broadcast' in connection with this as they have done with other storylines (e.g. Nigel's attempts to market his wine or Brian Aldridge's forays abroad). However so far there has been no further mention of the tour. Presumably they will tie it in with Remembrance Sunday when he returns.

• Admin

I heard Nigel comment that his tour was "mindblowing" in Fridays epi Mark- try the omnibus today- the synopsys for Fridays programme ( I missed the start) said he was describing his visit.

Cheers, Michelle

I thought that I'd heard all this week's episodes-I must have missed Friday's! I'll catch up with the omnibus or via the wonders of 'Listen Again'.

I believe that they set off from Leamington Spa one morning in a small group. Must have been an interesting tour. Apparently there were lots of pages of great war info provided in advance of the tour.

I wonder which Leamington Spa based researcherand party organiser/guide Nigel used?

Checking I see that there are 16 Great War Pargeters honoured by the CWGC.

• Admin

Just heard him describing his visit to Kathy Perks- Great Uncle Rupert is commemorated at Tyne Cot and he left some photos there.

Michelle

Martin: Mrs B insists that The Archers isn't real, and that Ambridge doesn't exist.

I think she's got the CWGC in on the deception. :blink:

I wrote a posting on the supposed Great War careers of other 'Archers' characters on an earlier thread. It may have been on Skindles as I can't seem to locate it with the search engine. 'Nigel' himself has a good war record, having appeared as Brigadier Gerald Lathbury in 'Band of Brothers'.

• 3 weeks later...

I gave up listening regularly to the Archers about ten years ago; couldn't stand the latest plot-lines.

That said, I ehard the start of the Omnibus last Sunday and I thought that "Nigel's" description of his finding the name of his uncle at Tyne Cot was very well done.

Then Kenton turned up and off went the radio!

Well done the BBC, you get the Archers right some-times