The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pulling in the Barry punters

Ferguson73uk

Well, my wife and I have just returned from a day of handing out leaflets in our local town for our free exhibition next Saturday on Barry and the Great War. To attract interest we decided to don period costumes - I cobbled together an RAMC outfit and my wife made a VAD uniform from sheets (very talented woman). We set about handing out leaflets to the unsuspecting shoppers. I was a bit unsure as to what reaction we'd get but I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Most people seemed to react favourably and promised to come along.

What struck me was how hot the uniform was - a nice sunny day today in South Wales, but nevertheless I was roasting. Add a pack and rifle (for infantry) and I think I'd have been drinking dirty water from a shellhole as well!

Still, a worthwhile day out. Let's hope in brings in the public next week. Took some photos for the local press so it all helps!

(The memorial looks good now it's all spruced up and the Roll of Honour boards are excellent. Thanks to all Pals who made donations.)

Jonathan

Martin,

Very true!

Amazing too how many men 'of a certain age' are attracted to a nurse's uniform!

:rolleyes:

Jonathan