Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Middlewich, Cheshire.

Jem2109

At our local library there is a display on WW1 at the moment, it will be there for the next two weeks possibly three, (the librarian wasn't sure) . I saw the display in the window and popped in for a quick look, but there is so much information and I had no5 child with me, which is not good for in depth reading so if there is any interest I will post again tomorrow with more info on what they have and who supplied the display.

If you would like me to look up anyone for you please just shout up, I did notice that there were 4? names on the list that aren't on the war memorial. I have had so much help from this forum in the research on my family that it will be my pleasure to return the favour.

Most of the soldiers mentioned on the war memorial are documented with a wealth of personal information, ie. home address, NOK, their jobs before they joined up and the few that I glanced at had the newspaper notice of death with photo included.

Jan

Gosh, where to start? There was so much to read that I barely skimmed the surface!

The display is thanks to Middlewich Heritage Society and will be moved to the Victoria Buildings on the 13th (just a few doors up) for several weeks. The whole display is compiled from documents which form part of the C F Lawrence collection. Born in 1873 Charles frederick was on the Comfort for the Troops Committee and he kept whatever he came across.

I spent a few hours , which felt like ½ an hour, looking through death notices, (some of which required a supply of kleenex). It is fascinating to read copies of letters home that were printed in the local paper, some of the death notices would even include snippets of letters home from local lads mentioning the young mans death.

The one thing that really comes through is how most of these young men down played the horror of what they were going through to relieve the minds of their families at home.

I copied a few to share with DS3, one about a 16 year old who was awarded the DSM but I couldn't find the cutting for why so I'll let DS3 see if he can find out over the weekend. :)

Hi Jem

Does the collection only apply to Middlewich or is there stuff in it from around the area? Reason being I have a soldier from Anderton whose death might have been reported. ( Pvt Sam Hughes see in list at bottom of this)

Hi

It is on the all men born in Middlewich, although some of them were no longer living there when they joined up their families were still there (and surrounding hamlets). Most of the info is those that were born there and died or were KIA. There are snippets about regiments in letters home though. the majority of the stuff I read really does personalise these men.

Eg. There is a newspaper clipping about William Molloy, 39, born Middlewich but now living in Manchester, it gives the heartbreaking story of his death (KIA) 1 year after his brother (KIA) and wife, leaving behind 9 children.

I will go back on Monday and see if I can find anything for you though, any excuse for another read :).

Jan

I thought I'd post a couple of the clippings. Can anyone put a date to some of these? Some have the dates in the article, but sadly the date isn't noted with each one :(

post-20951-1194035923.jpg

Pte G Yoxall 14242 10th btn Cheshire

KIA 19th May 1916.

post-20951-1194037182.jpg

Hello Jan.

Many thanks for this postnig and in particular the clipping of George Yoxall. I bought his medals some time ago and have never been able to ID him on the census as there were 2 George Yoxall's from Middlewich. His medals rest in my collection and I shall now add his photo alongside.

On a different note. There is somebody who is writing a book on the 1/7th Cheshire Battalion Cheshire Regiment and if you see any info on this battalion or any soldiers from this battalion then I know that he would be very interested. I know that there was a Pte William Sant from Middlewich who was killed in Gallipoli 17/8/1915 and I think that the Sant family lost some other lads as well. if I remember rightly there are three or four Sants on the Middlewich memorial.

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

The clipping of George Yoxall was for Pte Yoxall of the 10th Cheshires, the other George was Cpl George W and he was in the 2nd Cheshires, I have the info for both of them if it isn't the right one in this post.

William Sant is def. there.

There is also a...

Capt Charles Taylor Cooke 10/08/15.

Capt Thomas Hadden 20/04/1918.

2LT Thomas Worth 10/18/1915.

all 3 are listed as simply 7th CheshireReg Terr, not in companies. I'll see what i can find for them tomorrow. :)

Jan,

That is really good of you - thank you.

The George Yoxall clip that you have posted is the man whose medals I have. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it this morning.

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard

I have some info on the other George Yoxall, if required. 9485, Cpl, 1st Cheshires.

Richard

Thanks for the offer but this George Yoxall is definitely the one.

What may be of interest to you though is that I also have the medals to a couple of soldiers on the Wheelock Memorial. These are George Yates and William Astle(s).

Regards

Richard

I know that there was a Pte William Sant from Middlewich who was killed in Gallipoli 17/8/1915 and I think that the Sant family lost some other lads as well. if I remember rightly there are three or four Sants on the Middlewich memorial.

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard

I've come across Sants in my Over Peover research too, though none of these fell in the War to my knowledge. There are a number in the churchyard at St Lawrence, Over Peover.

Not surprising since Middlewich is not that far away.

Cheers,

Mark

On a different note. There is somebody who is writing a book on the 1/7th Cheshire Battalion Cheshire Regiment and if you see any info on this battalion or any soldiers from this battalion then I know that he would be very interested. I know that there was a Pte William Sant from Middlewich who was killed in Gallipoli 17/8/1915 and I think that the Sant family lost some other lads as well. if I remember rightly there are three or four Sants on the Middlewich memorial.

Thanks again.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

I got quite a few pages of info on 1st/7th, how would you like me to send it?

Jan

Hi Richard

I got quite a few pages of info on 1st/7th, how would you like me to send it?

Jan

Hi Jan.

Sorry - I've been away for a few days.

I'll PM you straight away.

Regards

Richard