Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Richardson MM

johnnie

I wonder if anybody can help. A freind is trying to find out more about Robert Richardson

in the hope of putting a display together at a local museum.

He was awarded the MilitaryMedal at Yepres, and after the war he returned to coal mining.

In about 1920 he was awarded the Order Of Industrial Heroism for rescuing a pit pony

and the newspaper article from the time mentions the Military Medal.

He was then killed in 1929 at Montague Colliery, Newcastle.

Any advice or information to the man would be fantastic.

Johnnie

Johnnie

Do we have anymore to go on? A regiment? a service number? a birthplace?

Robert Richardsons that come up in WO/372/23, the MM index at the NA are all WW2 recipients.

Jack

Johnnie

MM MIC here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Campaign Medals MIC here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

LG promulgation here:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...ll=&exact=R. Richardson&atleast=&similar=

It is for October 1916 so obviously at the early stage of the Somme and not third Ypres.

Regards

Mel

Johnnie,

He is also known to have been "Sick to Hospital" - 5/5/1915; Wounded on the 23rd January 1916 and confirmed in the February 1916 edition of St.Georges Gazette and "Sick to Hospital" again 2/1/1917.

All of the information provided by other members ties in, but the fly in ointment is the last MIC number "2097", which doesn't tie in with the 6th Bn and so he may have transferred for a short while.

Graham.

Mel,

On the new gazette site, you need to go back a page and then back to your original back, otherwise the links come out broken. I think it's an IE7 thing.

Steve.

Thanks Steve for the tip.

I find the new LG site a little better than the old one because of the preview element - but I am not going to compete with your craftsmanship :P

regards

Mel

Thanks Steve for the tip.

I find the new LG site a little better than the old one because of the preview element - but I am not going to compete with your craftsmanship :P

regards

Mel

Johhnie,

Was interested to see your thread, but from a more personal level. I would be interested in knowing more about your Robert Richardson. as my name is Ian Richardson and in my family tree on my fathers side, they all come from the North East and were almost without exception coalminers. I would be interested in seeing what you have about him. Richardson is a very common name in the region and so could be completely unrelated, but you never know.

Regards Ian

Thanks for the replies on this one. I have no information about this other than what the lady from

the museum gave me. I haven't actually seen the newspaper cutting myself, however I will try

and get a copy to check dates etc.

Medalhunter, all I have is that he was from (or so I am told) Springwell.

Johnnie

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies on this one. I have no information about this other than what the lady from

the museum gave me. I haven't actually seen the newspaper cutting myself, however I will try

Johnnie

Thanks Johnnie,

Slightly further north, (but only just) mine are all from around Bishop Auckland, Crook, Spennymoor sort of area, so not a million miles away. Being miners they would have moved around the area depending on where the work was. Do you have a date of Birth or parents names?

Regards Ian

Johnnie

Thanks Johnnie,

Slightly further north, (but only just) mine are all from around Bishop Auckland, Crook, Spennymoor sort of area, so not a million miles away. Being miners they would have moved around the area depending on where the work was. Do you have a date of Birth or parents names?

Regards Ian