Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Apart from the "Angels of Mons"

ceasefire

The most famous ghost story about the WWI era is the one concerning Lt. Desmond Arthur of the RFC who was killed flying a Be2 at Montrose in May 1913. His ghost was reported by RFC personnel. Another unnamed student pilot died there too after he crashed on his first solo and his spectre is said to haunt Montrose. RAF Montrose stayed in use throughout WWII and men arriving there were apparently "officially" notified about the haunting.

Crecy Publishing brought out a book entitled "Echoes in the Air" by Squadron Leader Jack Currie, a former Lancaster pilot which discusses briefly the Montrose phenomenon but there's also "Southeast by Southeast 165 Degrees" by Kevin Desmond (Leo Cooper 1998) that gives a more in-depth analysis of the tale. If you're really desperate, there are the awful "Ghost Stations" books, but they're mostly tripe.

Thanks for posting this; this is something I'll definitely look into.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for posting this; this is something I'll definitely look into.

Just curious but are there any documented sightings of UFOs during the war? WWII pilots reported unexplained aerial phenomenons but I can't find any references to mysterious flying objects over the trenches. I don't want to turn this into an X-Files episode (even though I adore Gillian Anderson) but it would be interesting to see what's out there. Yes, I know. It's the truth.

My great uncle, Frank Harcourt-Munning, CBE, in his autobiography "The Lonely Maverick" tells of an incident involving his sister Hannah. On page thirty of his book he describes how Hannah was in her kitchen, at Rosebury House, Gorleston, on a Friday morning, in 1917, when she sensed she was not alone, on turning around she saw a small cloud forming in the corner of the ceiling, from which the face of their brother William Munning emerged, he spoke saying "Its all right Hannah", then disappeared. Understandably shaken, she noted the time, 11:00. She wrote to her mother who was living in Hakin, Milford Haven, asking of news of her three serving brothers. She recieved a reply stating all three had recently sent field cards and were well. A few days later Hannah was told of the death of William, in the sinking of HMPMS Redcar. In 1919 Hannah was visited by a friend/shipmate of William, who had been standing beside him when he had been killed in the explosion. He confirmed that William had died at 11:00 on that same Friday morning.

William was buried in the Dunkirk Cemetry. I have visited his grave on two occassions in recent years, as well as that of his brother Arthur, who was killed in 1918, he was in the 68th Siege Battery, RGA. The third brother Charles, my Great Grandfather, was wounded, but survived the war.

Jo.

Just curious but are there any documented sightings of UFOs during the war? WWII pilots reported unexplained aerial phenomenons but I can't find any references to mysterious flying objects over the trenches. I don't want to turn this into an X-Files episode (even though I adore Gillian Anderson) but it would be interesting to see what's out there. Yes, I know. It's the truth.

The one that comes to mind is the supposed disappearance of 1/4 Norflok regiment at Gallipoli:

Exhibit Four: Annual Extract (near the bottom)

http://www.cufon.org/uhr/uhr3.htm

The Vanishing Battalion (half way down)

http://www.cufon.org/uhr/UHR10.htm