Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wickford War Memorial

Steve Newman

Hi All

Have just updated the Wickford War Memorial website including details of the forthcoming book that I have just finished which will be sold to raise funds to restore the memorial.

For those who have assisted you can expect your complimemtray copies on or around November 11, please take a look and let me know any thoughts!

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

Well done! You must be really pleased.

Do you have any further photos of the book at all? Also, can i be cheeky and ask what method you used for publishing it??

Hi Anthony

What was put up on the website was art work as sent over to the printers rather than pictures of the book. I am hoping for final proofs to be sent through tomorrow or Thursday. Then as soon as any changes are made the real thing should be back this time next week, or at least enough to be able to sell after the Remembrance service.

As to publishing it, having had a book published through commercial publishers, who were excellent I must add, there is no way though enough could ever be raised to undertake the work needed here, so I self published. This is of course enormously expensive and I will be paying it off for roughly three years but I guess that is my gesture to the local lads who gave so much more than money.

Are you looking at producing a similar for your lads?

Steve

Thanks Steve.

Yes, i'm looking at doing something similar. At the moment i am buying high quality paper, printing it out and binding it together. It looks OK but not as good as a 'proper' book. But it will do for now.

Am going to look at printing on demand. That's if anyone actually wants one!!! At the moment, it's at about 250 pages, back to back obviously half. Only real costs are for the paper which a cost of a book would cover.

The problem i have is that for the self publishing service i want would require a couple of grand, but don't think the missus would like that too much!

The book looks good from the pics on your site.

If you have any left at the end of November, i'll have one if that's OK??

Nice website.

I found this bloke, probably moved away well before the war though:-

CH/410/S Private Frederick William Cox Royal Marine Light Infantry 1st Royal Marine Bn. 28/04/1917 Missing, assumed killed in action

b. Runwell, Wickford 6/10/1889 ;

Mother, Emily, French's Farm Cottages, Rettendon Common, Chelmsford, Essex.

Canadian Cemetery No.2, Neuville-St Vaast (FR 1896) & Arras Memorial (MR 20)

Double commemoration (body found after completion of Arras Memorial) ;

John, I don't know whether to thank you or hate you!!! I have to say he is not one I have come across and I am guessing you are an RMLI expert and had details databased or have you found in through some other means? It is also interesting that we have two other Cox's killed in the great war but neither show any reference in local papers to a brother serving or killed.

I have just looked at the penultimate proof and can probably shuffle pictures around to include him, would you have any further details on him in your research?

Cheers

Steve

Nice website.

I found this bloke, probably moved away well before the war though:-

CH/410/S Private Frederick William Cox Royal Marine Light Infantry 1st Royal Marine Bn. 28/04/1917 Missing, assumed killed in action

b. Runwell, Wickford 6/10/1889 ;

Mother, Emily, French's Farm Cottages, Rettendon Common, Chelmsford, Essex.

Canadian Cemetery No.2, Neuville-St Vaast (FR 1896) & Arras Memorial (MR 20)

Double commemoration (body found after completion of Arras Memorial) ;

Hi Steve,

Have you had your proof copies through? Is it all going to plan??

Steve,

Looking good, well done.

Andy

Proofs arrived Tuesday PM and I had until this morning 1000 ro have all changes back!! Hence no log on yesterday! Well its gone and I now await its return in book form but I think it looks well and hope others will like and enjoy it.

I also managed to squeeze in the RMLI guy mentioned. I quickly did my homework on him and found out he was born and lived about a dozen doors away from me. He had moved by the age of 11 to another nearby village, approx 5 miles away where he features on their memorial but having been born in my village he qualifies for entry by my own set parameters. He was killed with 1/RMLI when they attacked near Garvelle Windmill which 2/RMLI captured in quite a small but furious attack. So I am glad hes added and my thanks go to John for finding him.

I will keep you posted when it arrives and fingers crossed it all comes out OK!

Cheers

Steve

Great News Steve,

Keep us updated