Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glasgow Great Western Necropolis

Old Chap

A few years ago i was in Glasgow and went to the Great Western Necropolis cemetery as i had a soldier buried there. I finally found the grave to 11605 Pte.T.Evans, 1st Kings Lpool, dow 13/1/15. But there are also 3 other casualties buried with him, 85877 Dvr.T.W.Thornton, R.F.A., 26/2/15, 3205 Pte.J.McKenzie 7/3/15 and 7316 Pte.C.Burn, Duke of Wellingtons Reg. Does anyone know why there would be a multiple grave? There is no lack of space. If anyone ever visits take a flask, compas and walking boots, it's a big, hilly place.

\strangely enough I was in Dunfermline taking photos today and came across a few multiple burials. If you think Glasgow is big try Greenock!! The people in the office there when asked the way to the grave I was looking for asked ' Do you have a car?' It's two miles away on the west side' Overlooks the old fleet anchorage.

Aye

Malcolm

You should try Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey (not the military one, the civil one). It is the largest in the country. A car is essential! It is 550 acres or more.

Multiple names on UK CWGC headstones are not uncommon from the WW1 period. They are usually casualties from military hospitals and the practice was, I am told, to save space in the sections allotted to military burials by local authorities.

When I queried this practice with CWGC, they did not have any record of the reason but that was their best guess.