Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service recod help

jopiela

I recently won the 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal for Robert Duncan. I have his service record which is rather checkered with time in cells and detention. However I can't make out the information in the remarks section. It says he reenlisted in the ASC but I can't make out who he served with. It also continues to list him in Naval service and being demobilized from the Victory II depot. Any help on his record would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

post-26510-1193682838.jpg

I am also posting a close up of the remarks. His time away from the Crystal Palace was on ships in the Mediterranean or at Malta. I'd like to find out where his service with the ASC was carried out.

post-26510-1193683186.jpg

The records are difficult to make out but I think you will find that it refers to army service after he was demobbed from the RN. On re-enlisting the RN would have been required to pass to his new service full details of his original enlistment and service. Dates appear to refer to 1920 and 1927.

It appears that he wasnt very happy being a stoker.With an indifferent character and inferior / moderate ability.So Joined the R.A.S.C. in 1920.. His Character seemed to improve after that.Probably found his forte??

It appears that he wasnt very happy being a stoker.With an indifferent character and inferior / moderate ability.So Joined the R.A.S.C. in 1920.. His Character seemed to improve after that.Probably found his forte??

Thanks for the info, guys. Just seemed odd that his naval record would continue to be updated with Army Service information. He certainly wasn't happy on ships. He served a 90 day detention for disobedience and another 90 day detention for absence along with a bunch of days in cells. Somehow he still managed to move from 2nd to 1st class only to be knocked back to 2nd and back again to 1st.

Joe

There is no detail of his army service, merely a notation that the army was passed his RN record. I can also see no evidence of dis-rating on this record.

There is no detail of his army service, merely a notation that the army was passed his RN record. I can also see no evidence of dis-rating on this record.

Now I think I understand the remarks. They are just saying he reenlisted in 1920 and then they sent his records over in 1927. I cropped out the class for conduct section when I was making the file smaller. The notations there are 2nd 15-7-16, 1st 15-1-17, 2nd 25-11-18 and 1st 24-5-19.

Joe

Ark Royal was the first purpase built aircraft carrier.

I'm not sure about interservice recognition of good conduct would work, but I guess that the army would need a statement of his service to calculate his pension and maybe good conduct. Part of a stoker's job was mechanical so he just sent for more mechanics.