Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing a German Soldier - just a name but any way of researching?

Max Poilu

Following this topic German helmets I happened to be cleaning the helmet in question and found a second name to one I knew was already there.

The first name I cannot make out completely but the second more interesting one is I believe 'Gustav Praye' ('' above y). Below this is 11/22.

That's all I have to go on... :unsure:

Max,

You don't get umlauts on the letter 'y', so it must belong on the preceding 'a'. A search on the surname Präye/Praye on the German VdK database returns no hits, and it's not a name I've ever seen. Can you post a pic of the names and see if we can help you decipher them?

Mick

Cheers Mick - and thanks for the tip on my non-existent German. ;)

I did take some pics but ended up deleting them, extremely difficult - the name only became apparent on holding the helmet in a certain direction in strong sunlight.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Cheers Mick - and thanks for the tip on my non-existent German. ;)

I did take some pics but ended up deleting them, extremely difficult - the name only became apparent on holding the helmet in a certain direction in strong sunlight.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Präye seems a pretty odd name. Perhaps Präge or even Präve?

Paul

No entries on the VdK database for Präge. One Gustav Präger, born 1907, missing 1944.

Hoping that Max can get a photo that gives us a chance of helping to decipher the name. Failing that, Max, you could always stick a label on the helmet and pop it in the post ... :)

Mick

I think we should be looking for the name Praije, as Max suggested.

The letter 'y' has umlauts in the Dutch language ('ij'). Ans since both countries are neighbours...

Googling the name Praije brings up at least one German with that name.

So Praije might very well be the correct spelling.

Roel

No entries on the VdK database for Präge. One Gustav Präger, born 1907, missing 1944.

Hoping that Max can get a photo that gives us a chance of helping to decipher the name. Failing that, Max, you could always stick a label on the helmet and pop it in the post ... :)

Mick

Mick,

I haven't read all of the other thread, but is there an assumption that this guy was kiled? I mean that in relation to the VdK...?

Paul

I checked VdK to see if there was a direct hit — otherwise just to use it as a sounding board for plausible name spellings. The owner of Max's helmet may well have survived the War.

I wonder, incidentally, how often someone has checked VdK for a name like Max's one and found that his man died not in the Great War but in WW2.

Thanks all very interesting - photos to come soon I hope.

As regards the owner - we may never know, the helmet was an American forces send home.

Really tricky to get this to show up on a photo.

The first person looks something like 'Teladick' ?!

Second person, first name is really hard to photograph but I am sure it is Gustav.

name1.jpg

name1a.jpg

Sorry to hijack your thread Max. I have a piece of trench art marked Ernst Heferer Ovillers 1916. How can you go about finding out about this soldier ? I can't work out the Volksbund web site.

Cheers Egbert - Prayl looks a strong possibility.

There is no flash - only way to get the writing to 'appear' is to take it in a very strong natural light source (ie the sun) and only at a certain angle will it appear. Best pics I can do I am afraid. :rolleyes:

Yes, it's definitely an 'l' not an 'e', so well done Egbert. No Gustav Prayl on VdK, so it looks as if he may have survived without his helmet.

thanks

Yes, it's definitely an 'l' not an 'e', so well done Egbert. No Gustav Prayl on VdK, so it looks as if he may have survived without his helmet.

Whoever deciphered "Gustav" earns the merit= thumbs up that's a really difficult job from the shown picture

Gustav Frage?

There's one Frage on VDK, Emil Frage KIA 1914

Roel