Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marksmans Badge

rick47

I have photos of my wife's grandfather Sgt James Hall L8186 1st Queens pre-war with a very clear Marksmans badge on his sleeve. A post-war photo prior to de-mob March 1920 has him in what appears to be his dress uniform including his overseas service stripes but no marksmans badge. Can anyone advise why he appears to be missing this?

Rick

Hello Rick,

I'm not exactly certain about the Army Marksmanship Rules so my answer will be a total guess. Being in dress uniform without his Marksmanship badge, may be due to the qualifying rules. If they were the same as my former corps: The Royal Marines, a soldier must re-qualify anually each year at a regimental personal weapons test. It was benificial for the soldier to keep up a high standard of marksmanship, due to the fact that he would qualify for a slightly higher grade of pay if he was the holder of a Marksmanship Badge.

Someone more knowledgeable within this field of expertise will be able to clarify for you.

I hope the above has helped a little.

Seph

It makes sense - I somehow don't see him being allowed to re-qualify during the four years he was a POW (I can just imagine the application going up to the camp commandant !!!!).

Rick

It makes sense - I somehow don't see him being allowed to re-qualify during the four years he was a POW (I can just imagine the application going up to the camp commandant !!!!).

Rick

HHmmm!

Prison Guard to Camp Comandant: Sir!.. permission to allow prisoner: Sgt J.Hall, to re-qualify for his Marksmanship Badge?

Camp Commander to Prison Guard: Yes.. splendid idea. This will help to ease the rest of the prisoners. I'll trust this Sgt explicitly. Give him 150.rds, issue him with a decent rifle, and show him to the shooting range. Oh, he'll be OK supervising himself!.

Prison Guard: YES SIR!

.... I don't think so either somehow!!! :wacko:

Ahah.... but you never said that Sgt Hall was a prisoner for '4' years.... cheeky blighter :blink:

Seph :rolleyes:

Sorry about the omission, I thought after making the post maybe I should have provided "full and frank disclosure" !!

Rick

Yes the badge had to be shot for annually, but I have no evidence that soldiers on active service did so, let alone POWs.

And no, after c.1903 there was no direct financial advantage in qualifying as a marksman, nor indeed the others skills at arms. Instead, a slightly lower standard was required to earn proficiency pay.