Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cottesmore Auxillary Hospital ~ Haverfordwest

Woodsc

Hi Everyone

My grandad was wounded and was treated at the Cottesmore Red Cross Auxillary Hospital Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire ~ I have a photograph of him outside the hospital (see attachment) but wonder if anyone out there had a better photograph showing a general of view of the hospital and any other information relating to the building etc

Hope someone can help

Regards..Colin

post-16032-1193608373.jpg

Colin,

having a while back lived in Pembrokeshire I know of Cottesmore mansion, but for something more detailled try asking the staff at the Pembs. County Record Office in Haverfordwest - usually a friendly and helpful crew - via

Claire.Orr@Pembrokeshire.gov.uk

LST_164

Hi Colin and LST_164, would you be talking about the Cottesmore House near the areodrome? I live just outside Haverfordwest and would be happy to snap a few pics 90 years on. I was recently in the records office in Haverfordwest and looking through some of the pics I took I've come across the following that may be of interest (appologies for poor quality) will get a better image if needed, the paper is from July 1917,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1193618012.jpg

Hi Colin and LST_164, would you be talking about the Cottesmore House near the areodrome? I live just outside Haverfordwest and would be happy to snap a few pics 90 years on. I was recently in the records office in Haverfordwest and looking through some of the pics I took I've come across the following that may be of interest (appologies for poor quality) will get a better image if needed, the paper is from July 1917,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1193618012.jpg

Hi Jon

Yes please if it's not too much trouble ~ it would be nice to have a then and now photograph and a general view of the house if possible

Also would appreciate a better copy of the attachment if possible ~ I'll also try the county records office as LST 164 suggested they may have other photographs taken in WW1 ~ any information would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Regards..Colin

Colin,

having a while back lived in Pembrokeshire I know of Cottesmore mansion, but for something more detailled try asking the staff at the Pembs. County Record Office in Haverfordwest - usually a friendly and helpful crew - via

Claire.Orr@Pembrokeshire.gov.uk

LST_164

Hi LST 164

Thank you very much for the information I'll give them a try

Regards..Colin

• 8 years later...

Hi Colin et al - I am related to the current owner of Cottesmore, so may have some insight for you. What was you grandfathers name / military details??

Hi jay dubaya,

I'd not heard of Cottesmore and its role in the Great War.

I knew of Withybush Haverfordwest during the Second World War.

Was there anything at Withybush during the Great War?

Dai Bach

Cardigan

• 3 years later...

Dear DByS , in reference to your post regarding auxiliary hospital in Haverfordwest,

I would be very grateful for information regarding withybush in the Second World War please . 

My ancestors , Williams and Philpin , lived in Withybush lodge (mansion house) 

with thanks

kind regards

Helen Hall 

2 hours ago, Helen Hall said:

Dear DByS , in reference to your post regarding auxiliary hospital in Haverfordwest,

I would be very grateful for information regarding withybush in the Second World War please . 

My ancestors , Williams and Philpin , lived in Withybush lodge (mansion house) 

with thanks

kind regards

Helen Hall 

Hi Helen,

Sorry, I don't know much about the history of Withybush Hospital. My understanding is that the current hospital was built in the mid 1970s on the site where a Second World War military hospital was established in about 1942. The Nissen huts were still standing (not sure if still in use) when the redevelopment began.

The man to ask is jay dubaya above.

Welcome to the forum Helen

Looks like I've missed a few posts on this thread over the last few years. Sadly I know very little history of the town during the Second World War. Withybush Lodge is still a dwelling in the centre of what is now a trading/industrial estate. There a plenty of wartime buildings left albeit mainly storage sheds and the likes, the aerodrome is still in use as are the 2 of the 3 runways and the county show is held here during August each year. Dai is correct with the hospital being founded during the summer of 1942 and remains on the same site today although the local health board would see it closed in the near future..... 

When I get the chance I will get to the new county archives and have a delve through their collection, I am aware of some documents they hold regarding the Withybush estate that may be of interest here, 

Jon