Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Two Names on Cloverdale memorial

Rob Bulloch

Hello the Forum.

Posting the last two names I cant seem to locate, Very common names as you can see, these two lads were from the town of Cloverdale BC but they may have served with a British Regiment, I can't find them on the CWGC perhaps someone with soldiers died may be able to help me. Thanks in advance Rob.

Rob

Here is Sidney for you:

Name: SMITH, SIDNEY

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 29/11/1917

Service No: CH/873(S)

Additional information: Son of Samuel and Elizabeth A. Smith, of 2089, Princes St., South Vancouver, British Columbia.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. K. 32.

Cemetery: ST. JULIEN DRESSING STATION CEMETERY

Regards

Mel

And here is George:

Name: DAVIS, GEORGE COURTNEY

Initials: G C

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry

Unit Text: 66th Bn.

Date of Death: 23/05/1916

Service No: 101345

Additional information: Son of Logan Walter Davis and Jane Elizabeth Davis, of Clowedale, British Columbia. Born in Shropshire, England.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: O. 404.

Cemetery: SHORNCLIFFE MILITARY CEMETERY

Can I claim my £10 now :lol:

Regards

Mel

Mel.

"Absolutely Brilliant" did you find them on CWGC? I look for these lads till I was about cross eyed and could not find them. that is the memorial complete as far as identification goes, a very interesting group of names 22 in all, 18 born in the UK and 4 born Canada, still some un-answered questions, but! I will get there. Thanks again for the information.

Best Regards Rob.

PS. Your cheque is in the mail

Mel.

"Absolutely Brilliant" did you find them on CWGC? I look for these lads till I was about cross eyed and could not find them. that is the memorial complete as far as identification goes, a very interesting group of names 22 in all, 18 born in the UK and 4 born Canada, still some un-answered questions, but! I will get there. Thanks again for the information.

Best Regards Rob.

PS. Your cheque is in the mail

Once again you amaze me Melpack, every member should have one!!!

Colin

The Jack Clegg RND Memorial Database gives Smith's d.o.b. 7/1/1887 in Montreal and his n.o.k. as his mother, Mrs Elizabeth Ann Smith, Cloverdale Post Ofice, Box 41, British Columbia, Canada.

I know that I've come on this scene after the battle has been won, but there really is a much simpler and easier way of finding both of these blokes, especally since you have the date of death in both cases.

Just use the Canadian Virtual War Memorial at http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm...FTOKEN=70881520

Noel

Alright Mel, put me out of my misery. Tell me the obvious.

I'm a technopeasant according to my son.

You're talking to a bloke who's never sent a text message in his life, and if he gets one on his 'phone - always assuming that it's turned on - has to ask his wife how to delete it.

Noel

(IPMBBT)

Aww it will get moderated but PMSL is P*ss myself laughing and the reason - all that human endeavour and you found the answer by one click!

Regards

Mel

Nice one. I couldn't get it - being such a nice decent sort of a bloke of course. and anyway, IPMBBT (it's past my... bed-time).

All the best to you.

Noel