Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Miss Vivien Isabel Knapton

Guest mruk

Yes, unfortunately a little lad was killed whilst playing in the cemetery by an unstable headstone.

Many now, to avoid this unfortunate accident, have been dismantled, headstone placed on the ground.

The Chapel has also been closed, and, some fantastic stained glass in there to two brothers of the West Yorkshire Regiment.

Regards,

Chris.

Steve Mattock provided me with some information. She organised concerts for hospitals containing wounded soldiers before joining the Land Army. She was one of the first to join and eventually became an instructress. She contracted influenza but died of heart failure when appearing to be getting better.

Thanks Chris,

It's all useful info. Do you think the problems at Harlow Hill arise from the fact that Harrogate Council have declared some of the cemetery a safety hazard after a young boy was killed there a couple of years ago? Many of the stones now lay flat, if I remember rightly

Cheers,

Dave

Hi there Dave,

A couple of months ago I went along to Harlow Hill Cemetary and found the grave of Vivien Isabel Knapton and took a series of photo's for Jim Strawbridge, and indeed the headstone is laid flat until an inspection as been done during the month of November.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Dave,

The sad thing about Vivien Knapton is that her mother and fathers grave is near by and I could not find it although I had a ref no for it.

Also in Vivien's grave is her sister.

All the best Roger.

Hi Roger.

Maybe one of the 'flat' headstones?

I hope they get the Chapel 'up and running' there, some fantastic stained glass commemoration.

Unfortunately shut due to it being declared a dangerous structure, however, i do believe there are some people who have launched a 'fighting fund' for its preservation.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Hi there Chris,

Thanks for your reply, yes it is one of the laid down headstones, as I also found it and photograph it for Jim Strawbridge for his National Project on women killed in the Great War whilst on war service.

Cheers Roger.

A very worthy project at that Roger.

I will need to e-mail Jim for an update on any other photos he needs in Yorkshire.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

A very worthy project at that Roger.

I will need to e-mail Jim for an update on any other photos he needs in Yorkshire.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Hi there Chris,

At work last night so couldn't answer, the only one in West Yorks I am struggling with is Katie Chapman at Woodhouse Cemetery Leeds, me and the Estates man can't seem to get the same time to meet up and get the photo of the unmarked plot, so it might have to wait until the clocks go forward again.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger.

Just sent you a PM. I do believe the plot, if i am correct, is near the Students Flats.

If needs be, i will visit Lawnswood and get a precise location. If you can, date of death please.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Woodhouse Dave.

Roger has just contacted me via PM. It seems there is pretty much no chance of locating the grave site.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Hi there Dave,

Yes it certainly is the one as you rightly say was once Leeds General Cemetery,and it is a beutiful setting only spoiled by the Henry Price monstroty(spelt wrong), I spent a restful and peaceful 11/2 there one Sunday Evening Looking for the grave site, as I now know It as been cleared and had a great makeover, as you say its a shame the learned ones dont treat it as such.

Even the great momuments had be tastefully lined up in avenue of tranquillity, i noticed that there was A Borough Engineers tomb and also Charles Thacheray's who did a lot in pioneering limb implants and as you will know there is a museum named after him at Jimmies.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Dave,

Yes it certainly is the one as you rightly say was once Leeds General Cemetery,and it is a beutiful setting only spoiled by the Henry Price monstroty(spelt wrong), I spent a restful and peaceful 11/2 there one Sunday Evening Looking for the grave site, as I now know It as been cleared and had a great makeover, as you say its a shame the learned ones dont treat it as such.

Even the great momuments had be tastefully lined up in avenue of tranquillity, i noticed that there was A Borough Engineers tomb and also Charles Thacheray's who did a lot in pioneering limb implants and as you will know there is a museum named after him at Jimmies.

Cheers Roger.

Hello Chris,

Just in case you do want to pursue finding a location, some times its better with 2 or 3 heads than 1, the plot ref is 5288 Katie Chapman D.O.D 03/12/1916 date of burial unknown.

The plot given to me by Jim Srawbridge says,Plot 5280(I have 5288),(edge plot abutting the wall next to Henry Price Students Flats).

thats as much as I have without Steve(or Stewart) Brevender the Estates Officer who I have been trying to catch for the last 2 months.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Dave,

No problem at all, as i say sometimes 2/3 heads are better than one, the thing that puzzled me at the time was the central building, I assumed it was a Chapel of some sorts although there are no markings or at least I couldn't find any. It is one of the best kept area that i have seen, compared with St Matthews churchyard at Chapel Allerton although in its own way there's a natural beauty to it as I know there a friends of Chapel Allerton Cemetery who do a cleanup and small maintainance of it, and there is a natural preservation attached to it.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Dave,

The sad thing about Vivien Knapton is that her mother and fathers grave is near by and I could not find it although I had a ref no for it.

Also in Vivien's grave is her sister.

All the best Roger.

Hi there Chris,

How about these then,

There are some more on women in the war.

Cheers Roger.

Hi Roger.

Apologies, i have been a bit busy these last few days!

Myself and mruk, are going to pay a visit anyhow in the course of our own research, if anything 'crops up', i will keep you posted.

Kindest regards,

Chris.

Hi there,

I know that churchyard, I happened to be in it about 4 months ago at about 01.00 pulling a stolen burnt out car out, and oh boy it wearn't half creepy, looking at that photo you must have at the opposite end from the main doors.

Cheers Roger.