Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stocksbridge Memorial

Chris_Baker

I am researching a soldier who is listed on the Stocksbridge war memorial. A bit of surfing has indicated that a book may exist, written by someone researching the names on the memorial. By Michael Parker, it is called something like "The poppy people of Bolderstone, Deepcar and Stocksbridge". Does anyone have a copy?

hi chris

i have a copy

do you need a look up or a copy of it?

Dean

Chris

I have found the following link (http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/NR/rdonlyres/D194E37E-B0ED-49BE-96D4-16645CB87C14/0/TheClockTower.pdf). Its about the Stocksbridge War Memorial and lists the Stocksbridge Historical Society's phone number. It does mention the book and Mr Parker. You might be able to get a copy through them. I hope this helps. I live close to stocksbridge so if you need any photo's etc just let me know.

Regards

Dave

Thanks, both. Very helpful. Dean, would you mind having a look to see any details of Anthony Button (WW1) and Richard Button (WW2)? I have all the military details already but would be grateful for any personal or family information.

Hi Chris, not much at all im afraid.

i'll type out his entry as it appears and let you have a read.

Anthony is recorded as having been resident in Sheffield and enlisted there as well. As he joined up prior to the introduction of conscription, then he must have been a volunteer. Thus begging the question as to why a seemingly local lad ended up serving with a Scottish regiment.

According to the Soldier's Died in the Great War register his service number was 200660,

but in the Commonwealth War Graves Commision ' Debt of Honour' database his number is given as being 3297. So why the discrepency in number's i wonder?

Anthony was the son of Mrs Jessie Button of 53 Haywood Park, Deepcar, Sheffield and he was killed in action on Sunday, 26th September. As his name is remembered on the Loos Memorial. Pas de Calais, Panel 119 to 124 and the Battle of Loos began on September 25th, then it appear's that he died whilst participating in this action.

In the ' order of battle' for the Battle of Neuve Chappelle that took place in March 1915, the 4th Battalion Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders are listed as being one of two Territorial Force Battalions, serving with the 24th Brigade of the 8th Regular British Army Division, which was based in France from November 1914 until the Armistice. So it's quite possible that Anthony saw action at Neuve Chappelle before going to meet his fate at Loos.

that's all there is Chris.

the copy of the book i have doesn't touch on the second world war.

just as an aside the entry before Anthony's is to a Arthur Button, also from Haywood Park, Deepcar. Related?

regards

Dean

Thank you very much. Arthur could be a relative. I will ask.

Anthony did not see service at Neuve Chapelle as he arrived in France on 9 September. He was recorded as missing on 26 September and presumably was still regarded as such when the new numbers were issued in early 1917.