Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wallingdord and Snoxall

David Filsell

Does anyone have details of the careersof either Wallinford or Snoxall or sources for the rate of fire of these musketry experts? I have no doubt about the figures, and have quoted the Snoxall figure myself, but I cannot find my original source. Can anyone assist please?

David

Do you mean Jesse Wallingford, British Olympic Pistol champion and Gallipoli hero?

Surname WALLINGFORD

Given Name Jesse Alfred

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 12/1125

Rank Captain

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment HQ Auckland Inf Batln

Marital Status M

Last NZ Address Simla Arney Rd Remuera Auckland

Next of Kin Title Mrs Alice

Next of Kin Surname WALLINGFORD

Next of Kin Relationship Wife

Next of Kin Address Simla Arney Rd Remuera Auckland

Zack

If it is Jesse Wallingford the following article appeared about him in 1915:

MILITARY CROSSES

WALLINGFORD, Captain Jesse Alfred, N.Z.S.C., assistant adjutant, Auckland Infantry Battalion.

Supervised the work of training the Expeditionary Force in rifle practice at Penrose, Auckland and left for Europe with the main body of the force. He was brought to NZ by the Government in 1911 direct from the School of Hythe, England, to act as instructor to the territorial forces. Capt Wallingford was six times the rifle champion of the British Empire, twice revolver champion and five times was second in the revolver championship. He represented Britain in two international rifle matches and was invariably the highest individual scorer of all nations. In addition to these great successes he was twice the winner of the Prince of Wales’ £100 prize, one of the biggest shooting trophies in the world.

Source: Auckland Weekly News 10th June 1915

He also won a bronze medal in the military revolver 50yds competition at the 1908 London Olympic Games.

Zack

• 2 months later...

Having read mailing about rude .ods who do not say thank you, I checked and found that I had forgotten to do so on this topic. Please accept apolgies - rudeness was accidental, not deliberate, and accept my thanks

• 12 years later...

Snoxall has been mentioned in passing in a new thread, in which I volunteer the following link:

Gunboards Forum

(See also the link in Post 13.)

Rather than take the new GWF thread more off-topic, I suggest that any further comments about Snoxall be made in this one.

Moonraker