Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clasp and roses

chill4119

On medal cards, is 'clasp' the same as 'clasp and roses'? Or if not, how can I find out what 'clasp 2/2642' is? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Chris

clasp was the bar for the medal

roses to go on the medal ribbon (when medals not worn) to indicate a bar would be on the medal

2/2642 is probably just a correspondence reference number

Chris,

In a manner of speaking.

Survivors cards show 'clasp and roses', with the roses intended for use on full size and miniature ribbons when just ribbons are worn. And remember that the soldier had to apply for the award.

In my experience of 1/Dorsets, those who were entitled to the 'Aug-Nov' bar but who were killed in action or died of wounds within the eligibility period were automatically awarded just the clasp - there being no need for roses. All these recipients have the 2/nnnn reference against their name [not sure if the number is the same for the Dorsets]. Perhaps this refers to an ACI or AO?

Regards

Steve

Ive many medals to early 1914 coldstream casualties where the MIC shows no reference to bar or roses

Coldstreamer,

It would appear that not all Regiments had the same sytem in place. A 22nd November casualty of the 1/Dorsets was automatically awarded the clasp - a 23rd November casualty (i.e. outside the qualifying period) but still entitled by virtue of being within range of mobile guns etc. would have had to have had an application made by his NoK. Therefore many who were entitled probably did not receive the bar.

Regards

Steve

I think survivors were issued the the clasp and 2 roses. I have my grandfather's rose in situ on his ribbons and the spare still in the wrapping. His clasp was buried with him with his medals.

Thanks everyone for your help. My grandfather was killed in 1916, so I guess would not have the roses, just the clasp?

Again thanks. I love this site, you are all so helpful to novices like myself

Chill you guess is probably correct as he would not be wearing the ribbon without the medal! It should confim what he got on the medal roll.

Chill,

You will see from the list MelPack has posted that the 8th Royal Scots were entitled to the Clasp and Roses.

From my Uncles' MICs(and the Medal Rolls), both landed in France on 5th November 1914 and the War Diary clearly shows that the Battalion was in range of the guns by 22/23 November 1914.

One Uncle died of wounds 1915 and the other was killed in action 1918.

My Grandfather received their Medals but their Clasp and/or Roses were never issued.

George

Thanks everyone. My grandfather went to France in October 1914, in the Kings Own Lancaster, and died on 1.07.1916. His medal card mentions the clasp, but not the St george Cross or his DCM. I have since found these awards in London gazette for bravery in 1915. I am trying to get copies of the medals that he was awarded, but they must be absolutely correct.

Thanks again

Chris