Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

245th Bde RFA

eyes

As nearly as I can figure it, 245th Bde RFA, part of 49th Div Arty, was employed at IIIrd Ypres. But, as I have not yet got my mitts on the Unit Diary or several texts which may (or may not) shed some light, am still in the dark as to exactly where, when and under what circumstances the Bde was involved in the battle. Any insider knowledge? Much appreciate a hand here.

Colin

During the Canadian operations at Passchendaele from middle October, 1917 to middle November, the 245th Bde RFA supported the left section of the Canadian front. From about 22nd October, the 49th Divisional Artillery was under the orders of the 3rd Canadian Divisional Artillery, and from 1st November, the 245th and 246th Brigades reported to the 1st Canadian Divisional Artillery.

This snippet from the diary of the 3rd Cdn Divisional Artillery show part of the barrage map of the 26th October advance. The artillery on this side was clumped together along the Gravenstafel Road. There is a location statement with the 1st Division Artillery Diary.

There is a wealth of detail about these operations with the diaries of the 1st Cdn Divisional Artillery and the 3rd Cdn Divisional Artillery . Included, for example are casualty totals for October for all the Brigades.

post-75-1193539748.jpg

James

You mention a wealth of information. A master of understatement are you. My back hurts, my eyes don't focus anymore, etc, etc.

Good stuff this. I have never looked closely at III Ypres and had no idea the 245th Bde RFA was in support of the Canadians. I wonder if my English grandfather fired in support of some of my Canadian relatives? Funny world. Many thanks.

Colin