Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Of Cambrai

Guest Steve M

Greetings from the Great White North (-33 degrees C with windchill)

I would like to read about the battle of Cambrai and would like some recommendations please.

Thanks

Steve M

'The Ironclads of Cambrai' by Bryan Cooper is a good short but rather dated account. 'Follow The Tanks' by P. Gorczynski and J-l. Gibot is a meticulous and superbly illustrated account of the tanks' role. It is available in a nicely-produced English translation by Wendy McAdam.

Although I haven't read it, I'm led to believe that the volume of the Official History which includes Cambrai is one of the better, easier to read ones. Its on my birthday list.

Michael

The Battleground Europe books are quite good with

Cambrai the right hook

by Nigel Cave and Jack Horsfall

and

The Hindenburg line

by Peter Oldham

Bourlon Wood (ISBN 0 85052 818 6) and Flesquieres (ISBN 0 85052 897 6) complete the Battleground Europe series on Cambrai. The balance of these accounts is somewhat uneven, which is not a criticism because they are designed to provide a framework for visits to battlefields.

I would agree that the OH of Cambrai is excellent. It is probably the best of the series and quite affordable.

For some personal accounts, consider 'With a machine gun to Cambrai' (ISBN 0 304 35258 6). Also, Ernst Junger took part in the German counter-attack (see his book 'Storm of Steel').

'Tank Warfare' by Frank Mitchell covers the tank attack at Cambrai.

Although it is not a book, a read of John Hussey's paper in *The British Army Review" No. 117 entitled " 'Uncle Harper' at Cambrai: A Reconsideration " is definitely worthwhile reading.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Steve

Start with the Official History if you can get a copy, as recommended by Michael. It is surprising how many people 'discover' facts that the O.H. volumes have detailed for years. The Cambrai volume has LOADS of interesting info and it's a good read.

Bryn