Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Mountain Battery RGA

Bob Foster

I am researching Bombardier Anold Jones who served with 10th Mountain Battery

Royal Garrison Artillery. He died 15.10.1918 and is buried in Cairo. I have found out nothing about this unit - can any body please point me in the right direction ?

:) Thank you to all those who helped me with my first query about Trench Mortar Batteries

The 10th Mountain Battery, RGA was armed with six 3.7 howitzers and was part of the 8th Mountain Brigade, RGA during the 3rd Gaza campaign in mid-1917. In 1918 it served with 9th Mountain Brigade, RGA in the Jordan Valley.

Regards. Dick Flory

• 10 months later...

hello,

Bombadier Arnold Jones was my grandfathers brother! I would be very interested to hear from you. I am currently trying to find out which RGA Regiment the 10th Mountain Battery belonged to? Are there just the Hampshire and Middlesex Regiments?

Best Wishes,

Gareth Browne

• 9 years later...
Guest daplykobe

I joined the Forum hoping to find out something about a grand uncle I never knew who died in WWI. I only had his name, number and regiment but it seems that this will take one quite a long way.

I am 10 years late in replying to this topic but it is quite a coincidence that I have to relate and I am certain Gareth Browne at least will be interested in what I have to say on the subject of Bombadier Arnold Jones Service Number 44810 who enlisted in the RGA in Rugby, Warwickshire.

I have his Pip Squeak and Wilfred (awarded him as a Gunner) and his Widow's Penny. I have these from my Cousin. Our paternal Grandmother was Arnold's sister. She lived in Rugby as well. We conclude that she was sent or given his awards either as a momento of her brother or simply as nearest surviving next of kin when Arnold's parents passed although this last idea seems unlikely as his parents and wife are listed as next of kin on his memorial.

I never knew my Great Uncle Arnold. My father was only 2 years old when he died.

Gareth's Grandfather must have been another brother of my Grandmother...another Great Uncle that I never knew. So Gareth Browne would be a second cousin...perhaps.

I have lived in Japan now for 25 years so by now we are really distantly related...nevertheless it would be great to make contact.

post-116804-0-80196000-1414509168_thumb.

post-116804-0-05118600-1414509181_thumb.

post-116804-0-02720100-1414509275_thumb.

I joined the Forum hoping to find out something about a grand uncle I never knew who died in WWI. I only had his name, number and regiment but it seems that this will take one quite a long way.

Hi ?

Although he died while serving with the 10th Mtn. Bty, he qualified for the 14/15 Star Medal because he served with the 27th Siege Battery in France.

After attesting at Rugby he would have been given a railway pass to take him to No. 2 Depot, Fort Rowner, Gosport, and would have started his military service around the 13th September 1914. It is difficult to say when he would have been posted to, what was then, 27th Siege Coy but after training it went out to France on the 4th September 1915.

The obvious reason for his eventual posting to 10 Mtn Bty was that he was unfortunately wounded and had to return to England. After recovery he was probably posted to "C" Mtn Bty at Catterick for training in a mountain battery. It would have been here where he probably joined the 10th and go out with it, leaving Southampton on the 23 August 1917 and disembarking at Alexandria on the 12th September.

Although you live in Japan you can begin your research in these two units and can obtain a lot of information online by firstly searching the forum for previous posts and eventually downloading any war diaries as and when they become available from the Nat. Archives.

Kevin

• 5 years later...

If anyone is still interested Arnold died of Malaria. His wife Lavinia Emma Jones nee Bastock never remarried and died in 1942. In 1939 she was still living at their original home on The Green, Snitterfield.

His pension card showing cause of death is attached.

Bmdr Arnold Jones 44810 Pension Card.jpg